• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Slugs Vs Rifle

Slug Vs .223

• Total voters

Trav

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
1   0
Reaction score
Not sure if this should be here or in Range forum but here we go..

I want to build a multi use weapon..... um on a budget.
Short range hunting (deer and pig), home defense and fun at the range.

12 Gauge Mossberg 500 Tactical (full stock) with a rifled 24" barrel Vs AR15 .223?
aaaaaaand GO! :)

If the option was for a regular SG it might be different, but I'd have to go with AR as the slug gun is not as versatile.
Regular SG can shoot both slugs and shot. But the rifles barrel will only shoot slugs reliably.

I wouldn't normally recommend a 12 gauge as a HD weapon but if that's what you're comfortable with maybe have that 24" barrel for hunting and a shorter, more maneuverable barrel for HD?

Vepr 12 with rifle slugs would be a tactical all in one gun. YouTube has a guy hitting steel at 100 yards with it with no problem. Only problem is they go for a grand and an ar15 is $600

I need to make a clarification on my original.
00 for home D in the stock, shorter smooth barrel would be the position of the SG most of the time as I'm not expecting to get to the woods but a few times a year.
SG rifled barrel will only carry slugs for hunting range accuracy (pig and deer). I know it trashes a buck pattern. I also have an option to change to an even longer barrel for foul.

I have considered the 300BLK in the AR but cost and availability is an issue for me. As well as I'm still mainly looking at head shots only with just a bit more range for hunting. ARs are awesome please don't attack me. (cringe in the corner)

Hey thanks folks for all the fast valid replies. It's helping me with this tormenting decision. :)

Will smooth with rifled slugs be just as good as rifled barrel?

Alot will depend on the shooter...the rifled barrel will stabilize the slug and give it more distance. I can put slugs through the same hole all day at 25 yards with iron sites and a smooth bore..I havnt had the chance to try it any father out but I bet it wont be too bad...and I'm no sharpshooter with a rifle by any means.

Back
Top Bottom