• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Slugs Vs Rifle

Slug Vs .223

• Total voters
Both guns can be versatile. The most versatile version of that Mossberg shotgun, however, would involve multiple barrels. I suggest an 18.5" or 20" barrel, RIFLED, for both home defense (with buckshot, and you want the rifling to spread the buckshot pellets out at across-the-room distances) and for deer or hog hunting.
Then get a 24" or so length smoothbore barrel with screw-in choke tubes. That will cover you for small game and birds and clay target range work.

If you had that kind of Mossberg shotgun in mind, I think it would be a toss-up.
The 12-gauge would be better for close-range hunting, while being "acceptable" for home defense (great stopping power);

but the AR would be better for
--home defense (faster firing, higher ammo capacity)
-- hunting beyond 100 yards,
-- target shooting at the range (plinking with a semi-auto is fun).

Ultimately, you should have both of these kinds of long guns in your collection.
One sporting shotgun, and one semi-auto rifle or carbine that is good for both hunting and defense / unorganized militia use.

Whoever picked an ar was obviously part of some scheme where there mother beat them half to death with a flip flop for being to ugly to take in public.

Just my 2 cents.

Smooth Bore SG with Remington Sluggers.... perfect combo for hunting deer/pig 25-75 yards

Smooth Bore SG with 00 buck.... perfect combo for home defense

I keep 7 shot for first round (wild dog, armadillo, noise maker..) then stagger buck/slugs for the real deal if it's going down in China town....

Rifleing in a shot gun disrupts the shot and will diminish accuracy and shot pattern. Smooth bite will shot either well up to about 50 yards. Some sabot rounds for smooth bore will be accurate past 100 yards with enormous energy.

Both guns can be versatile. The most versatile version of that Mossberg shotgun, however, would involve multiple barrels. I suggest an 18.5" or 20" barrel, RIFLED, for both home defense (with buckshot, and you want the rifling to spread the buckshot pellets out at across-the-room distances) and for deer or hog hunting.
Then get a 24" or so length smoothbore barrel with screw-in choke tubes. That will cover you for small game and birds and clay target range work.

If you had that kind of Mossberg shotgun in mind, I think it would be a toss-up.
The 12-gauge would be better for close-range hunting, while being "acceptable" for home defense (great stopping power);

but the AR would be better for
--home defense (faster firing, higher ammo capacity)
-- hunting beyond 100 yards,
-- target shooting at the range (plinking with a semi-auto is fun).

Ultimately, you should have both of these kinds of long guns in your collection.
One sporting shotgun, and one semi-auto rifle or carbine that is good for both hunting and defense / unorganized militia use.

I thanks ya!
I wanted the AR to start with. Due to lower range cost, longer range and accuracy. Plus, well,..... its Tinker toys for big boys! :)

Folks you have been a great help!

So I will end up getting both but for now I believe I'm going to start with the AR15.
I would trust and use either of them but its going to cost me a lot less to be accurate with an AR than a 12ga. I would rather take time for a head shot than walk down a 12ga gut shot deer.

I can get a new "NON" Mill spec AR (that I can start working on slowly) for less than a new Mossberg 12ga "NON" Mill spec build. Target shooting is a lot less too.

A 12 gauge shotgun with screw in chokes is probably the most versatile platform on earth. Available ammo ranges from bird getters to bear stoppers and everything in between. Screw in chokes offer a versatility that is unmatched from cylinder bore to extra full to rifled with 30 seconds and a choke wrench. Also most slide action shotguns are incredibly reliable for the long haul, many bargain basement ARs not so much.
I saw in the recent sale sheet from BPS that they had the Remington 870 express for about $250 after rebate if I remember correctly.
From what I've been seeing that's a smokin deal.
I'm really into real world results rather than numbers on paper but.....
When it comes to energy a 12 gauge with 1 0Z payload at 1200fps is going to generate 1550 FT/lbs with a power factor of 580
While a .223 with a 55gr bullet at 3000fps generates around 1099 ft lbs with a power factor of 165. Some say that .223 is enough for deer, in my opinion it's marginal for quick clean kills on medium to large game.
Good luck with your choices.

Back
Top Bottom