• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Small-Base Dies - maybe it's me? RESOLVED!

BHPSteel

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
7   0
Reaction score
So, I've finally progressed onto rifle cases. I have some neck dies for a couple of calibers, because my reloads will go in specific guns, and it's my understanding that that's the way to go.

However, I have multiple guns, including auto-loaders, in 308 and 300BLK, so having done some reading - I understand that the best compatibility across all guns in a given caliber is if I use small-base dies for these.

So I picked up a set of RCBS for both.

I set up the 300BLK with very little problem, resized some range brass I'd picked up. Checked all the important dimensions before and after resizing, everything seems good. Even to the point of remembering to use case lube. I could plunk the brass before and after resizing in all my 300BLK guns.

So far, so good.

Try and do the same with 308. This was some of my pickup brass from an earlier range trip. All the brass looked fine. Decapped and cleaned, I thought I was ready to go.
  • Read the setup instructions twice before cleaning and setting up the dies
  • All of it plunked in all of my 308 rifles before resizing
  • Lubed the cases (not just neck)
  • Pushed 'em up into the resizing die. Lots of resistance (something like 50 lb on the press arm)
  • Pulled 'em back out (maybe 70lb on the press arm - I was levering the press up off of the table)
  • Plunked the brass in my 308 rifles and they all went in fine.

So, I'm confused. I have to believe that the amount of force I'm applying is excessive, and I would expect that kind of force to deform the brass in some way to take it out of spec. There is no sign of scoring or scratching on the cases. I had cleared the vent hole in the die.

What I planned to do next was put some cold blue on the cases and see if I could figure out where the interference points were. When I insert one of the pieces of brass into the die, it gets this far before there's any resistance (although that tells us nothing about where the actual contact point is)

1694789285523.png

The die is marked "RCBS 308 WIN SB .. 22" so I think they sent me the right thing.

In frustration, I pulled the bullet from a round of my unused Lake City brass, and tried the same test for an interference fit - and it did the same thing. I'm thinking of depriming the round and seeing if unfired brass behaves the same.

Any of you guys have other thoughts?

I tried Hornady case lube, then graphite, then I actually tried lip balm (hey, it's lanolin - same as Alox uses I think). Inside the neck and outside the whole case.

I didn't try 'em all together though. 🤔

After more sleuthin', and not being able to find cold blue, I decided sharpie might do the trick. Slather it on, push the case in until the first resistance is detected and rotate the case a bit.

1694791163064.png

Not a great photo, but you can see the first interference point. So then I start thinkin', and get a 10x loupe and look at the inside of the die. I can't get a good photo, but the top 1/4" of the case body section is - to use a technical term - gouged to ****. As is the whole length of the neck section. Hard to estimate, but probably by something approaching 120 grit. So I think we have a "ding ding ding!" moment.

I rarely have any reluctance to put my hand up and admit blame when I screw up, and I'm convinced this wasn't me. Every piece of brass that I put in that die had been ultrasonic cleaned, scotchbrighted (000 grade) and then rinsed off, so either these were bad QA from RCBS or someone else had screwed 'em up before I got them.

So, I'll contact RCBS and see what's cookin'. Shame their support team doesn't work Fridays.

Yeah, these are brand new. I'd like to at least start out with a good set that I know are in-spec.

AND - to add frustration, Battlehawk Armory refers any support or warranty back to equipment manufacturers. Which isn't horrible - I much prefer dealing with manufacturers where possible.

But I have to wait until Monday :(

As Palmetto stated no where near that much pressure needed. I use RCBS and have never had a problem. Hopefully it was just a bad set that got by QC and they’ll send you a new set,

As Palmetto stated no where near that much pressure needed. I use RCBS and have never had a problem. Hopefully it was just a bad set that got by QC and they’ll send you a new set,

Oh, I'm confident they'll see me right. I've had dealings with them in the past and they've stood by their products admirably.

So, I emailed RCBS yesterday (their support hotline is closed on Fridays, but they respond to emails) and explained the problem. Replacement die is on its way - easy, quick and a 100% win.

Props to RCBS.

Lesson learned - Battlehawk Armory are great at what they do (selling stuff cheap) although (a) their shipping is usually on the expensive side and (b) they offer no after-sales support and all warranty is direct with manufacturer, so make your purchasing decisions accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom