• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Small-Base Dies - maybe it's me? RESOLVED!

Follow-up.

RCBS called me back and asked if I'd mind sending the sizing die in to them for inspection before they actually sent a replacement.

They didn't make a firm statement regarding what they think the issue is, but after some conversations, it looks like the die was necking the brass down to way below spec. I sent them a photo and that's when they asked for the item back.

I don't know how the RCBS dies are manufactured, but if they're modular and have inserts for the neck, I guess it's possible they put something near to a 6.5 neck insert in there (in a shameless attempt to make me adopt a Creedmore caliber of some sort).

In any case, I have something coming back from RCBS today or tomorrow, so we'll see what the outcome was.

Follow-up.

RCBS called me back and asked if I'd mind sending the sizing die in to them for inspection before the actually sent a replacement.

They didn't make a firm statement regarding what they think the issue is, but after some conversations, it looks like the die was necking the brass down to way below spec. I sent them a photo and that's when they asked for the item back.

I don't know how the RCBS dies are manufactured, but if they're modular and have inserts for the neck, I guess it's possible they put something near to a 6.5 neck insert in there (in a shameless attempt to make me adopt a Creedmore caliber of some sort).

In any case, I have something coming back from RCBS today or tomorrow, so we'll see what the outcome was.
Those Creedmore fanboys are a crafty bunch!:hand: RCBS has been really good to deal with for me. I'm sure they'll have your die straightened out.

It was a brand new out of the box die. I'm not worried that they'll see me right on this.

I actually found one of the 308 cases that I put thru' the sizer - the inside diameter of the neck was 0.285 after putting thru' the die. So there's clearly something screwy going on.

It was a brand new out of the box die. I'm not worried that they'll see me right on this.

I actually found one of the 308 cases that I put thru' the sizer - the inside diameter of the neck was 0.285 after putting thru' the die. So there's clearly something screwy going on.
Pull the sizer ball out and mic it. If it's not .304-306 ish it's the wrong sizer ball. If it is proper size then it's sitting too high in the die.

To confirm this, leave the expander ball/stem out of the die and size a piece of brass. Measure, bet its the same size as your almost 7-08 brass.

Or keep the die and buy a 7-08. Lol. My reloading die is bad so I had to buy a new rifle. Best excuse....ever

Pull the sizer ball out and mic it. If it's not .304-306 ish it's the wrong sizer ball. If it is proper size then it's sitting too high in the die.

To confirm this, leave the expander ball/stem out of the die and size a piece of brass. Measure, bet its the same size as your almost 7-08 brass.

Or keep the die and buy a 7-08. Lol. My reloading die is bad so I had to buy a new rifle. Best excuse....ever

You sold me.

Bergara B-14 in 7-08 on order!

So, Mr. Postman had a package for me.

Detailed writeup from RCBS staffer - returned a completely new die, adjusted pretty darn close to what I needed (I have a Hornady press. If I'd been using a Rockchucker, I wouldn't have had a Lock-n-Load mount, and I bet the die would have been perfectly adjusted.)

There's still a bit more resistance than I'd expected, but after sizing, the dimensions were correct and I could seat a bullet - which is kind of the point - right?

So - thanks to RCBS techies - another satisfied customer.

So, Mr. Postman had a package for me.

Detailed writeup from RCBS staffer - returned a completely new die, adjusted pretty darn close to what I needed (I have a Hornady press. If I'd been using a Rockchucker, I wouldn't have had a Lock-n-Load mount, and I bet the die would have been perfectly adjusted.)

There's still a bit more resistance than I'd expected, but after sizing, the dimensions were correct and I could seat a bullet - which is kind of the point - right?

So - thanks to RCBS techies - another satisfied customer.
I’ve used RCBS for over 30 years and learned how to reload on my Dad‘s 50 year old RCBS equipment. I’ve never had an issue with their products and I’m glad they took care of you and made it right. Nobody can be perfect every time, but everybody has a chance make things right when they not.

Back
Top Bottom