• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

SMG Question

Zombie Ninja

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
29   0
Reaction score
On the 9mm AR's, how do y'all feel about stacking quarters in the buffer tube?? Obviously not ideal but I want to know is there any problems as far as spring preload or action goes?? I know being a blow back action it does benefit some from a heavier spring(heavier because of the stacked quarters creating more preload) but never done it. Either way the stroke needs to be shortened but a $45 spikes buffer and spacer kit or $1.75-2.50 in quarters is kind of a no brainer.

The quarters aren't too give more weight to the spring. The stack of quarters is to limit travel of the carrier. That being said you can pull apart a standard buffer and make it heavier yourself. Drive the pin out of it and put heavier shot in there instead of the 3 weights in it. Keep in mind that you want whatever you put in their to be able to move to create a dead blow effect when it hits.

It will benefit from some added buffer weight but I'm more concerned with any ill affects from too much spring preload from a tall stack of quarters.
The fact is the 9mm bolt does need a stiffer spring as well as a longer buffer. That's why Spikes sells them together, spacer and buffer. I'm concerned w spring bottoming or too much preload that will affect the action (feed or ejection) negatively. I've searched AR15.com a little but found only one or two that actually did it and commented.
I figured fer sure some guys here have done it and I'd benefit from their first hand trial and errors. I may be buying a kit it seems.

Just looked at the Spikes garbage ... they are selling a heavy buffer and a spacer together ... NO spring ... the spacer slides inside the spring I believe so it does not effect the preload on the spring .. all it does is limits the carrier from coming all the way back then going all the way forward to the bolt catch ....the spacer only allows the carrier to come back far enough to get back the bolt catch thats it .. it doesnt travel further rearward than whats necessary. Thats all the stack of quarters would do.

If you want to do this on the cheap, go to Homie Repo, and get a dowel that will slide inside your buffer spring, and some lead shot to make the buffer itself heavier. Look up on the errornet what the weight of the T2 buffer is and make your buffer weigh the same, and then cut a length of dowel to slide inside your spring and keep the carrier from over travel and you are done.

Ya. I don't wanna to go "cheap" on the Colt but if there is an easy fix to shorten the stroke then I'm all for it. Unfortunately, no such thing as cheap and easy! Go figure
I know it cycles just a bit quicker than rifle caliber weapons and I hear is a hoot on the slide fires!

You can run it without the spacer, but doing so you run the risk of breaking bolt catches from over travel. The heavy buffer just slows the rate of fire down some by it taking more to open the bolt.

Personally I like the shot in the buffer and a dowel ... or if you have a hook up some delrin rod .... I would almost bet thats all the buffer from craptastical spikes is.

I'm sure that's all it is too. Bit longer buffer and the spacer. The spacer does have a shoulder on it so I think it does give a slight bit of preload to the spring. But that's all I'm really interested in, Not breaking the bolt catch.

yeah I went and looked at the spacer, it does have a shoulder ... looks like maybe half inch or so from the pic.

Quick search shows that the T2 buffer is carbine length and weighs anywhere from 4.0 to 4.2 ounces ....

Carbine buffer weighs 3.0 ounces

Id perosnally add shot to the carbine buffer end get its weight up to 4 ounces and then add a dowel ..... I think part of the reason for the shoulder on the spikes spacer is to keep it held in place by the spring pressure. if it fit inside the spring it would be allowed to slide back and forth. Easy fix if you go the dowel route is to take and screw a washer to the end of it for the spring to sit on and hold it to the back of the buffer tube.

Back
Top Bottom