• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Smith and Wesson Model 25-5

Butshot

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
31   0
Reaction score
Just wondering what others might think of a deal I recently completed. I traded a Marlin 1894 .44 mag rifle for a S&W Model 25-5. My Marlin was in pretty good shape, had some scratches on the wood and a little bluing loss on a small place on the barrel. The 25 looks like new, has a pinned 8" barrel and the firing pin on the hammer, cylinder is not recessed. It has Pachmyar grips, do not have the box or docs or original grips. I think the value is pretty equal, what do you think?

I think you got the better deal.

The 8-3/8" barrel is not as popular as the shorter barrels. The .45 Colt is a puzzy cat out of this big revolver and pleasant to shoot. The factory grips run $75-$100 but look right on the gun. The pachmyar's really helps tame the recoil and it's not much really in this gun and less so with the aftermarket grips.

I have the same gun and considered having the cylinder machined to allow .45 ACP ammo but decided to keep it factory as it's a nice example. Perhaps with one that needed refinished, I'd machine it. Yours, I'd just look for some decent factory N frame grips.

Last edited:
S&W only had recessed cylinders in the rimfire and magnum revolvers. I own a 4" barrel version. You will enjoy the gun, once you get over the cost of ammo. Here is mine, it now wears Hogues.
www.hunt101.com_data_500_medium_S_W_469_9mm_016.JPG

There is a fellow on www.smith-wessonforum.com named "VM" that sells stocks, contact him for a proper set for your gun. Plan on $100.00+ for the correct stocks, which, BTW, fit very few hands. I suggest you spring for factory combat stocks, with finger grooves. Here is a set on my son's S&W 66-2.
www.hunt101.com_data_500_medium_006277.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom