• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So current and former military folks here...

Is the Cadet in this video in the wrong for not following the Marine DI's instructions to say "Aye Sir"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAadvbQAmTQ&feature=related

How does that work between branches? Does a lower ranked member of any branch have to obey the orders of a higher ranked member of another?

the cadet was correct,he maintained his discipline...the marine needs to cut back on the caffeine...he was totally wrong

I currently am USCG and stationed on a Navy base and regardless of the branch of service, I choose to respect the senior enlisted or officers request. This is purely out of respect. I do not know if it is required to follow orders of a higher ranking member of another service but I choose to do so anyways until instructed differently. It appeared in the video there were officers present of the same branch as the soldier being disciplined, and if there was a problem with their actions I'm sure they would have intervened and instructed the individual in the proper course of action.

Is the Cadet in this video in the wrong for not following the Marine DI's instructions to say "Aye Sir"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAadvbQAmTQ&feature=related

How does that work between branches? Does a lower ranked member of any branch have to obey the orders of a higher ranked member of another?

Any service member of superior rank is due military courtesy such as saluting officers of superior rank. Any NCO or officer can make "on the spot" corrections like "your rank is on sideways" or "your boot is untied".

Command is a different matter. I was in the Army, but not any officer could give me an order even if they were Army. Only officers and NCO's in my chain of command could tell me to do anything. I was in a joint command meaning a Navy or Air Force guy could be in my COC but some Navy dude could not walk up to me out of nowhere and tell me to do XYZ without clearing it with my COC.

Haha, what in the world was that?

Fortunately, the only people outside of the Army I ever had to deal with on a regular basis were Airmen. It seems only Marines are so anal about how you address them. I was corrected one time by a MC staff sergeant when I addressed him as "sergeant" rather than "staff sergeant". In the Army, you're pretty much "sergeant" up until you're a first sergeant (E5-E8)

Any service member of superior rank is due military courtesy such as saluting officers of superior rank. Any NCO or officer can make "on the spot" corrections like "your rank is on sideways" or "your boot is untied".

Command is a different matter. I was in the Army, but not any officer could give me an order even if they were Army. Only officers and NCO's in my chain of command could tell me to do anything. I was in a joint command meaning a Navy or Air Force guy could be in my COC but some Navy dude could not walk up to me out of nowhere and tell me to do XYZ without clearing it with my COC.

This is exactly correct. Orders can only come from the CoC. That does not mean some NCO's or officers won't try. That is when the soldier must be sure enough to stand their ground.

I have personally found MUCH better ways to get my point across to my subordinates with regular talking. Though that is my style of leadership.

And I will correct ANY member of the Military if I observe them doing something wrong, junior or senior to me.

Tact is a wonderful thing sometimes.

I have personally found MUCH better ways to get my point across to my subordinates with regular talking. Though that is my style of leadership.

And I will correct ANY member of the Military if I observe them doing something wrong, junior or senior to me.

"With all due respect" is a great phrase. :)

^^This^^

You are supposed to address any member of the military, regardless of their branch of service or yours, with the proper title. That being said, there's a little thing called professionalism that seems to be lost on those Marines. The Cadet faltered only once when he got in a little shouting match with the Marines, but he stood his ground and acted professionally. Thank you Cadet, for representing the Army so well!

Back
Top Bottom