• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So current and former military folks here...

Just like the marine DI said toward the end, "School is not the military!" To that end, no the cadet did not have to say Aye Sir, or any other construct of sorts. I give props to the cadet for maintaining proper military bearing, I only wish I could have been there to try and correct the DI. He may be beyond reason.

i remember talking to my boss that was a drill instructor for 6yrs.... He said its hard to turn off the DI mode sometimes. It's drill and tattooed into your mind how to act and how to treat the recruits in boot camp .... maybe he was stuck on boot camp recruit mode.

i remember talking to my boss that was a drill instructor for 6yrs.... He said its hard to turn off the DI mode sometimes. It's drill and tattooed into your mind how to act and how to treat the recruits in boot camp .... maybe he was stuck on boot camp recruit mode.

There's something to this. I've never been a drill sergeant or anything, but I've taught some Army courses...medic related stuff. Well, I had one former student from my EMT class come back to watch the mass casualty exercise for the last day of a CLS class. We really got in their asses, spraying blood, yelling, etc...it was a lot of fun. Anyway, the former EMT student came to me later and said something to the effect of wow, it's like you flipped a switch and turned into a whole other person out there.

It's entirely possible (although I wouldn't count on it) that this DI walked away and turned back into normal and had a good laugh with his buddies about the whole thing.

Having served as a Navy Corpsman attached to the Marines, in my experience, you do have to do what a senior member of another branch orders you to do. That said, the cadet was displaying pride in his service. If it went to captain's mast, it would have been his own command, not the Marines, so he would most likely have won (might even have gotten an unofficial pat on the back to boot.) When dealing inter-service, there are ways of ****ing with your superiors without getting into too much trouble. This is an example. Just don't do it to anyone in your own chain of command.

There's something to this. I've never been a drill sergeant or anything, but I've taught some Army courses...medic related stuff. Well, I had one former student from my EMT class come back to watch the mass casualty exercise for the last day of a CLS class. We really got in their asses, spraying blood, yelling, etc...it was a lot of fun. Anyway, the former EMT student came to me later and said something to the effect of wow, it's like you flipped a switch and turned into a whole other person out there.

It's entirely possible (although I wouldn't count on it) that this DI walked away and turned back into normal and had a good laugh with his buddies about the whole thing.
I deal with Army Drill Sergeants daily. There is a certain way you act around the Privates/trainees and how they are taught in DS school. While I agree the video is over the top, all the DS I deal with generally have a head on their shoulders and are just like any other Soldier when trainees are not around.

But just like with ANY profession, there is always a few bad apples that do not preform or uphold the standard, which is why we police our own.

Just like the marine DI said toward the end, "School is not the military!" To that end, no the cadet did not have to say Aye Sir, or any other construct of sorts. I give props to the cadet for maintaining proper military bearing, I only wish I could have been there to try and correct the DI. He may be beyond reason.

I used to have to deal with a bunch of Naval Officer Candidates. They were rank equivalent to E-5, and we were instructed to treat them as such. They for the most part did as instructed, or we just had to call out to one of their instructors and they would set them straight. I was a PO2 at the time, so they didn't give me much grief.

i do it just because its a good idea to extend your military courtesies to everyone.

that marine DI is just acting a fool

Back
Top Bottom