• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So current and former military folks here...

Any service member of superior rank is due military courtesy such as saluting officers of superior rank. Any NCO or officer can make "on the spot" corrections like "your rank is on sideways" or "your boot is untied".

Command is a different matter. I was in the Army, but not any officer could give me an order even if they were Army. Only officers and NCO's in my chain of command could tell me to do anything. I was in a joint command meaning a Navy or Air Force guy could be in my COC but some Navy dude could not walk up to me out of nowhere and tell me to do XYZ without clearing it with my COC.

Correct. I also never wore rank or unit patches. If I did it was whatever suited the situation.

Does anyone think the cadets' instructor saw the Marine DI and said "go mess with my guys I want to see what they do"?

The thought did cross my mind. I can see if you are on a military installation and want to push your trainees to see what they will do, but I just can't understand why anyone would choose to embarrass themselves in front of a bunch of civilians in public like that.

The thought did cross my mind. I can see if you are on a military installation and want to push your trainees to see what they will do, but I just can't understand why anyone would choose to embarrass themselves in front of a bunch of civilians in public like that.

I only had that thought because there is no way in hell I would let a Marine outside my COC read my troops the riot act. I would not berate him in front of the troops but a simple "a moment sergeant" followed by "if you ever address my guys like that again we will have problems".

Back
Top Bottom