• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So disappointed in Palmetto State Armory (PSA)

Good company that understands customer loyalty vs PSA.

8B510466-5F2D-4FDE-A755-87E57CE42487.png

Simple question. Would you prefer that PSA go out of business?

They will not go out out business if they do not sell over priced ammo. No, I don’t prefer them to go out of business. Just want them to price fairly so I could buy from them. Stuff like this leaves a bad taste- thus, the rant.
You saw Dahlonega Gold and Pawn’s ad from yesterday? $219 for $1000 rds of CCI 9mm. Today’s “Deal” from PSA - $309 for CCI 9mm ammo. I wonder which Company is bigger and has more buying power? I know who chooses to take care of their customers, by not gauging.
E0DFA236-4785-442F-A6C9-2F51573779D4.png

They will not go out out business if they do not sell over priced ammo. No, I don’t prefer them to go out of business. Just want them to price fairly so I could buy from them. Stuff like this leaves a bad taste- thus, the rant.
You saw Dahlonega Gold and Pawn’s ad from yesterday? $219 for $1000 rds of CCI 9mm. Today’s “Deal” from PSA - $309 for CCI 9mm ammo. I wonder which Company is bigger and has more buying power? I know who chooses to take care of their customers, by not gauging.
View attachment 2634604
To make the same point that you are making, that same 9mm that DGP is selling for 219 was 169 2 months ago. If someone has a better price on something, that makes you a gouger? Any unworthy of your business?

To make the same point that you are making, that same 9mm that DGP is selling for 219 was 169 2 months ago. If someone has a better price on something, that makes you a gouger? Any unworthy of your business?[/QUOTE

A one store operation is $90 cheaper than PSA. Academy still has it cheaper, because they have price integrity guidelines that guide them. PSA is the $10 per gallon gas station, from a few years ago, that got busted for gauging by the state.

But, you guys feel the way you want. I have gotten my rant out. At the end of the day, we can all have an opinion. ‘Merica

After feeding me thousands of rounds of 17 cent 9mm even Dahlonega Gold and Pawn had to go up on prices and we all know they aint greedy.
Is what it is,
Stop buying and the price will come down

Or...I am writing this very slowly, because I know you can’t read so fast.... LOL. Wow, you went there.

I hate to rain on all the emotional comments with facts, but let me give a little retail / marketing 101. Retail replenishment. Let me help. The cycle counts (set replenishment numbers of an item kept in stock - that monitors inventory and triggers reorders) were disrupted because there was a spike in buying- just like the last time ‘panic’ hit - IE, .22lr. Production is the same, there was just an unexpected disruption in buying patterns which cause temporary out of stock because maybe 5 of something was projected to be sold in a week and all of a sudden, the entire 25 on hand are sold. System - and inventory levels are set to send 5 at a time back each week, so it does, but now the shelves look empty and the next 5 get snapped up. There is not any less ammo, it was just quickly consumed and will be replenished as soon as everyone quits buying 5x their normal buying pattern. If you look at Olin, ammo manufacturing company to many brands, there is no disruption in their production. Manufacturers may seize an opportunity to raise price by a small margin, but they still need their distributors and wholesalers to buy from them when things return to normal - so they are careful and may also be under contractual agreements from customers. Ammo went up in some cases by 10% -like .22lr, but went down in some cases - like 9mm, after the last panic buying situation we went through several years ago. When everyone starts to let the replenishment cycles catch up, there will be regular amounts of ammo on the shelves again and prices will go back down as inventory will sit again.
That is how it works. The shortage is an artificial spike in buying. Major manufacturers may increase their pricing by 3-10%, but probably have not- again, referencing buying agreements. But if you check Olin - publicly traded company, they have not raised prices nor have they built another factory to produce more ammo- because this is an anomaly in buying patterns and they would get stuck with inventory. Just like toilet paper. No less product has been produced- ‘panic buyers’ temporary disrupted the buying and distribution patterns.
Now... the distributors are the ones making the major mark ups - IE, my rant about Even though you can, should you - and follow me here - PSA is trying to build brand loyalty with REPEAT business, or that is what their 500 emails a year to me are saying. Here is the important part - you do that by NOT gouging your targeted repeat customers by positioning a product at a 50% price jump when your cost may have went up - at the most, 10%, if they are not buying direct from a manufacturer or are on a second tier pricing scale due to volume - and your sales profitability on the gouge pricing will not Come close to justify the marketing damages You have caused by doing so (losing customers). Return Customer acquisition is far more valuable than Making a few extra $’s off of panic buying neckbeards but ticking off your base customers. I am ranting about them shooting them selves in the foot by sending mixed messages to their target customers who they have been trying to win over. They could have been hero’s by maintaining pricing integrity- like Academy, Cabelas, etc. - and positioned themselves as a competitor and perceived peer, even though they are a mid level mostly mail order business without much cost structure in brick and mortar - like the big boys.
IE - just because you can, doesn’t mean you should - if you are in business for the long haul.
But what do I know. I only had 20 years in retail, running $40 million per year stores and $500 million per year districts.
I hope everyone- even neckbeards - have a great weekend. I might even go shooting...

Your post may take a prize for making the most sense of any ODT post in history.

Back
Top Bottom