• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So I've got this older Remington Model 11....

That video is VERY enlightening....I never knew that about my shotgun and I’ve been shooting/cleaning it since 1959! It’s always good to learn something "new"...and THAT'S what I LOVE about being on ODT!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I actually "inherited" the one I had from a relative who took it completely apart and put it in a box.
I depended on YouTube videos and a couple reference books to put it back together and gave it to my nephew in the Marines last year. Properly oriented friction ring and they will eat anything. Mine did/does. They are awesome, light and very unique shotguns. :hat:

Get some "heavy" hunting loads. Hi-Brass, if you will.

Your loads look like walmart specials, the 7/8 loading is a giveaway.

You want 1 oz of shot and 1200+ fps. Very few automatics from back then will run the light loads without modifications. My A5 is that way, heavy field loads or shoot another gun .

A3281DCB-27D1-4CCD-B5E5-6714EEA26287.jpeg

I have one as well. This one will run anything so far. It’s a 20ga.
I also have a 12ga that is being redone. We are having some cycling issues with it ejecting.

You want 1 oz of shot and 1200+ fps. Very few automatics from back then will run the light loads without modifications. My A5 is that way, heavy field loads or shoot another gun .

I'm starting to believe shotgun shells are getting to be like the newer dishwashers and washing machines... they don’t work worth a crap either!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He needs to check his shell with a magnet and see if any of them have steel rims -most of the budget lines do. Steel does not "give" when fired like brass, which is what makes shells easy to extract.

Get some AA or Remington skeet loads and try them, first class brass and cases.

Also, any old gun has likely built up crud in the chamber that can't be removed with ordinary cleaning and some micro pitting. Get a 12 gauge Bronze bore brush, put in the last segment of a break down cleaning rod. wrap a couple of strands of steel wool around it, take some Hoppes, generic brake cleaner, basically any solvent, and really work over the chamber - spend several minutes. Of course, you should remove this barrel. This one exercise will make a world of difference on older balky guns. Modern plastic shells are grabbier than the paper hulls that gun was designed for.

I doubt in the present circumstances you could find 20 ga. paper hulls, but they exist. It would be an interesting experiment to see how they do.

He needs to check his shell with a magnet and see if any of them have steel rims -most of the budget lines do. Steel does not "give" when fired like brass, which is what makes shells easy to extract.

Get some AA or Remington skeet loads and try them, first class brass and cases.

Also, any old gun has likely built up crud in the chamber that can't be removed with ordinary cleaning and some micro pitting. Get a 12 gauge Bronze bore brush, put in the last segment of a break down cleaning rod. wrap a couple of strands of steel wool around it, take some Hoppes, generic brake cleaner, basically any solvent, and really work over the chamber - spend several minutes. Of course, you should remove this barrel. This one exercise will make a world of difference on older balky guns. Modern plastic shells are grabbier than the paper hulls that gun was designed for.

I doubt in the present circumstances you could find 20 ga. paper hulls, but they exist. It would be an interesting experiment to see how they do.

This gun has not been used "a lot" since my grandfather died in 1955 so it is exceptionally clean....it has been disassembled and cleaned after each use since I was a kid. I get (and agree with) the whole thing about the difference in the materials in today's shells as compared to that which was available 50 years or more ago....which is fifty percent of my question on this post...as to whether other have the same difficulty with using the newer ammo in older guns...

There's nothing better than getting paid to look out the window....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also, you probably need to put a light coat of oil (or grease) on the magazine tube after cleaning. It makes the gun run smoother and the friction ring will still do it's job. My pre-model 11 shoots pretty much anything now even when set up for heavy loads, and it saves wear & tear on the gun (and shooter).

Back
Top Bottom