• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So just why do they (usually) flute revolver cylinders?

It seems to function for several different things so it probably had more than one original purpose. It would be nice to know exactly what the maker had in mind when they first fluted the cyclinder.

Cosmetic...

Yes, it will reduce weight/mass but not for any realistic benefit.
Its not generating heat like a mini gun so cooling is out.

It could be possible that originally it was to used channel gas/debris/fouling flow away from the face of the cylinder since there is a gap between the cylinder and barrel. Black powder was/is filthy.
How much crap actually builds up there now with smokeless powder? How many rounds before stoppage due to build up?

In a double action pistol, firing with that long DA trigger pull, if the "rotational mass" is less, the trigger pull would seem to me to be somewhat less. I am no gunsmith and with the use of springs and such inside the action, it may not be enough to consider.

In a single action pistol, it would seem to me to be explained by reason of easing manual operation while wearing gloves and being shot at by the guys in the black hats.

Purely aesthetic now? You know the Colt Patterson had an unfluted cylinder? I can hear one of Samuel Colt's friends saying, "Yo, Sammy, the gun is good and all but look, it's got no cylinder flutes. **** man, can't y'all do something to make it easier to hold and load? I have to hold the cylinder in one spot while I load it from the front - dump in powder, drop in the lead ball and tamp that bitch down! How 'bout inventing smokeless powder and metallic cartridges! And build me a speedloader so I can load five chambers at once! Damn, Sam, do I have to do all the thinking for you?" Oh...wait! Horace&Daniel beat Colt and his company to some of that...and their Model 1 also had an unfluted cylinder...I'm thinking those were practical designs based on the state of metallurgy existing at that time?

I was just about to mention that revolver. I had the same one in 2" or possibly 2.5" inch back in the 90s. One of the things that Drew me to it was the smooth cool looking cylinder. I really wish I had it back. But the Houston Co S.O. " Lost it" back in 97.

@Gadgetsrfun has 8 or 10 or 20 or some other enviable number of those Rossi revolvers, including the .44 Special! All are awesome looking and shooting revolvers!

Back
Top Bottom