• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So who all rides motorcycles?????

I got a ‘98 Heritage that needs resealed. Never have the top end sealed ,only, in my experience. A friend of mine did the work (said it looked brand new inside) and 500-1000 miles later the bottom end started leaking. Pretty sure it’s the cases? BUT…. this was my PawInLaw’s bike and he let it sit for years. I’ll never let one sit, probably the worst thing you can do to a Hawg.

on your EVO engine it is not uncommon to go 80,000 miles with no top-end engine work
if it is cared for properly (and I don't just mean oil & filter changes)

on the work you had done it is imperative to return to the mechanic and have him re-torque the top-end after several heat cycles
if not there will be an oil leak

ref: '85-'99 HD - your engines top-end is held together by several long studs that hold the heads and cylinders together to the bottom-end as opposed to earlier HD models that have separate studs & bolts for the heads and cylinders
on the '85 -'99 engine it is common for the cylinder base gaskets to leak (because of the owner/rider)

this can be prevented by letting the engine warm up at low idle till the rocker boxes (top of the engine) are warm to the touch before taking off, AND do not take off wide open
- this gives time for everything to expand (remember there is one stud connecting the cylinders & head to the botton-end)
you do this and I guarantee no gasket seepage

I cringe every time I hear someone crank a cold engine and rev it up a dozen times then take off and romp on it

I go to Southern Devil HD for Free Beer Saturdays and many riders crank-up and tear off down the road
the service advisors exclaim "he'll be back soon for an oil leak repair"

I'll put a plug in for my neighbor (past lead mechanic at Southern Devil)
he has a nice new shop, very very reasonable prices compared to the Dealer
he is a Dealership Alternative for all HD warranty work and service as well as Powder Coating
CPC Motorcycle Company in Rydal Ga (north of Cartersville)
call David - 470-586-7168

on your EVO engine it is not uncommon to go 80,000 miles with no top-end engine work

on the work you had done it is imperative to return to the mechanic and have him re-torque the top-end after several heat cycles

ref: '85-'99 HD - your engines top-end is held together by several long studs that hold the heads and cylinders together to the bottom-end as opposed to earlier HD models that have separate studs & bolts for the heads and cylinders
on the '85 -'99 engine it is common for the cylinder base gaskets to leak (because of the owner/rider)

this can be prevented by letting the engine warm up at low idle till the rocker boxes (top of the engine) are warm to the touch before taking off, AND do not take off wide open
- this gives time for everything to expand (remember there is one stud connecting the cylinders & head to the botton-end)

I cringe every time I hear someone crank a cold engine and rev it up a dozen times then take off and romp on it

I go to Southern Devil HD for Free Beer Saturdays and many riders crank-up and tear off down the road

he is a Dealership Alternative for all HD warranty work and service as well as Powder Coating
Thank you Sir. I agree 100%. My top end is great now, but my bottom end is leaking at the cases. Funny you mentioned 80k , yep. I know a little and would do more 10yrs ago but yes Sir, I baby my Babies. And thank you for the tag, my guy may quit one day?

I wonder if he has an old school master mechanic working for him named Rich? Awesome Fella.

05DEC3B8-47BC-4BF0-B56F-58109947572A.jpeg
2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec

I wonder if those Benelli motorcycles are any count? I saw and sat on several at WOW that seem to be a killer deal. I don’t think I saw one over $8k loaded and most were around $5k. Not big on cc but average power. The dual sport got most of my attention.

I wonder if those Benelli motorcycles are any count? I saw and sat on several at WOW that seem to be a killer deal. I don’t think I saw one over $8k loaded and most were around $5k. Not big on cc but average power. The dual sport got most of my attention.
I just went to the website, looks like they are made in china now. I was looking at the prices and you can't build something and sell it so cheap without slave labor. I personally would not buy one.

Back
Top Bottom