• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Some new pictures from Atlanta

Pretty sure the second pic is Peachtree and Collier Rd where Piedmont Hospital currently sits. Still got the historical markers all over. My Grandparents were on Howell Mill Rd at the Mill on Peachtree Creek, a half mile from there, lots of musket balls and cannon rounds around the creek. Uncles found a musket grown in a tree that is at the Atlanta Historical society now.
The one that has “business district “? For some reason I thought that was Whitehall. Nevertheless, cool piks BamaBrad BamaBrad !

1701873971759.png

1701874102026.png

History repeats itself. That wagon guy got so much more action than the other wagon guys.

Nope, the Earthworks. Facing North.
the pik i was referring to was the one with the saloon /billiards building. 3rd pik in OP.

I have a digital copy of "My 80 Years in Atlanta" by Sarah Huff. Lived in a house at Huff road /near Howell Station. The house was built in 1855 and she was 10 during the Battle of Atlanta. Interesting reading and some ok photos albeit short 58 pages.

If you like those photos, you'd really like a visit to the Atlanta History Center near the Governor's Mansion. The newly (2018) restored locomotive the "Texas" is there along with the original zero mile post for the Western & Atlantic RR terminus, which was the beginning of Atlanta in 1837. The biggest exhibit is the Cyclorama of the 1865 Battle of Atlanta, a giant 360 degree panting with a diorama in the foreground. It used to be displayed with rotating theater seating in the center with audio narration, but is now more accessible with a two-level viewing area. You can really see the forced perspective of the diorama, with the biggest soldiers in the foreground being about 3 feet tall, and the soldiers closest to the painting being about 16" tall. My wife and I visited this past Summer, a couple photos for you...
Texas Locomotive.jpg
Atl Cyclorama.jpg

Back
Top Bottom