• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Some new pictures from Atlanta

If you like those photos, you'd really like a visit to the Atlanta History Center near the Governor's Mansion. The newly (2018) restored locomotive the "Texas" is there along with the original zero mile post for the Western & Atlantic RR terminus, which was the beginning of Atlanta in 1837. The biggest exhibit is the Cyclorama of the 1865 Battle of Atlanta, a giant 360 degree panting with a diorama in the foreground. It used to be displayed with rotating theater seating in the center with audio narration, but is now more accessible with a two-level viewing area. You can really see the forced perspective of the diorama, with the biggest soldiers in the foreground being about 3 feet tall, and the soldiers closest to the painting being about 16" tall. My wife and I visited this past Summer, a couple photos for you...View attachment 6600100View attachment 6600101
I loved the cyclorama.Daughter is doing civil war history now.

If you like Atlanta Civil War history you may like this film about Tom Dickey, brother of James Dickey of Deliverance fame and his WW2 mine detector. Its a great film.
sometimes i waste company time looking at odt. And my boss might think so but that was well worth it! I enjoyed seeing Collier road in the film. He said 'it sure has grown up around there" boy howdee!!

So the CYCLORAMA is no longer in operation ?? Or am I not reading that right ?
I have been there a few times when it was working and saw the show….it is amazing !!

If it is still operational and you have not seen it I HIGHLY recommend going there one day, it is well worth it !!

Back
Top Bottom