• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Something that you may not have known about Macgyver

FredAlert

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
217   3
Reaction score
I was reading another thread here where they were talking about images to burn into AR receivers. One of the members brought up "The Phoenix Foundation" logo for an AR Ala the Macgyver show from days gone by.

In case you lived under a rock it was a show about a guy that knew something about everything and was able to get out of just about anything with a gum wrapper, a tooth pick and a hearing aid battery by stringing them together into something like a shortwave radio ....

What you may not know, likely because of his history on SG1 using guns, is that Richard Dean Anderson at least was a huge anti-gun activist and that was purposely a large part of theme of the Macgyver show .... The whole show was literally being used as anti-gun propaganda. Unfortunately the guy drank the koolaid. If you go back and watch the episodes you can see it. In every single episode the bad guys are portrayed as violent gun wielding simpletons that are always defeated by Macgyvers superior intellect that made it so that he never had need for a gun ;) (though it was ok for him to explode gas pipes in peoples faces and disfigure them of course)

"The NRA and I, well, I'm on their hitlist, which I must say I'm very proud of" -Richard Dean Anderson
"The NRA and those folks get pretty upety about us presenting an adverse view of guns and handguns especially" -Richard Dean Anderson

I guess I thought that everyone knew this because my dad would get mad if I even watched macgyver when I was a kid but if you didn't now you do ....

Here's a clip of him talking about it on CNN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5M5qx2xKTo

Last edited:
I have ran across a few "smoking device" Macgyver's....they're alriight in my book. Hand them some rubber hose, a cup, and duct tape and watch some magic in the making! Now, on a serious note, I never picked up the ques let off by Anderson that he was an anti-gun activist, but I may be too young. I guess I never really watched enough of the show, just used the term loosely. Informative little bit of pop culture history right here!

I find it most hilarious because the Stargate show that he was just in you rarely see him without a gun. I'd be interested to find out if his stance changed on this subject or if he's just a hypocrite.

Im more inclined to believe whoever funded the show ie. the Producer or producers were the actual anti-gun activist. Especially back then when a Actor had had no control of the script. But whatever. He is free to make a choice. So in real life I hope he is capable of inventing a device out of a shoe string and foot powder that will ward off a bad guy:D

I loved that show as a kid. I didn't catch too much on the anto gun theme then (probably because the A-Team balanced it all out). Then I caught the end of an espisode a few months ago where they were melting down firearms with the local PD so they wouldn't find their way back to the streets and be used for more crimes.
I cringed in horror.

Back
Top Bottom