Sonic cleaning brass

If it’s range pick up brass, I start with a dry media tumble. Then I size, decap and trim. Then do a wet tumble with brass cleaner and pins for 2 hrs. Rinse brass then tumble in water and turtle wax car wash liquid for 2 hours. It’ll make the nastiest piece of range brass look better than new!

Try wet tumbling minus the stainless steel pins. Similar results and a lot less work handling the pins. Key seems to be doing a quick wash with a detergent plus a little lemi-shine then a rinse to get rid of the initial dirt, residue, etc.
Trying that now. It may work. Sure will make it easier.

I purchased the Hornady Sonic cleaner and it is really only good for once fired brass, anything more will require a tumbler in my opinion. I use stainless steel media and it works great even on some nasty old military brass that had been sitting in an Ammo can for the past 10 years or so.

The pins get pistol brass completely clean-- so much so that it binds on my expander die. If I gotta lube it, it's not worth the extra clean to me.

I just use a vibratory on pistol and blastin' rifle cases.

For precision stuff, I use the ultrasonic. A real one, not a cheap one. Does a great job, and all you need is Dawn, not something fancier in the water. Run the water at 150 degrees-- not hotter, or the bubbles don't clean as well. If I had it to do over, I'd spend the extra coin and get the swept frequency option. Then you don't even have to stir the brass around during cleaning (to move it around the destructive interfering standing waves nodes). The sweep will move those nodes around the brass.

They certainly work, and you can clean all kind of other things too, but do not put precious stones in there. The cheap ones say "jewelry cleaner"-- but one that actually works will destroy rubies/emeralds and maybe diamonds depending on flaws. It will blow the plating off eyeglass frames if there is the slightest imperfection. Does a dynamite job on electric razor heads though.

As far as drying goes, after rinsing the brass off in a colander or whatever, you can throw it on a towel and wait, or toss is in the oven on a cookie sheet for a bit (on very low). Depends on if I'm in a hurry.

Just ordered what I need to start tumbling. Looking forward to trying this method as I'm tired of dull, kinda clean brass.
I load mostly stuff that needs lubing to size anyway, and half azzed clean brass gums up my dies worse than anything. This should be better.

Get a Frankford Arsenal tumbler. Contact Rachel southernshinemedia1@gmail.com and order at least 5lbs of their media.

1 teaspoon Lemishine and a good squirt of Dawn and you will have pristine brass that will satisfy the biggest cases of OCD.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom