• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sportracs

Have an '01 since new. 105K miles. Been a great vehicle for me. The '07 2nd generation is a much more refined vehicle, would love to have one, but I have sentimental attachment to my '01.

I'll try to get a picture of mine on this evening. I see a lot of them on the road,kinda makes you wonder why Ford dropped production of tgem.

It was always a production line filler at the Louisville plant, where they made the Explorer and Mountainer. The Sport Trac rolled off the same line. When they first came out, Ford was selling 40 to 50 thousand a year. They had the extra capacity on the line. It was very economical and profitable to simply make more vehicles on the same production line. Same thing when they brought out the redesigned Explorer in '07; Sport Trac had the same underpinnings, so they just made more on the same line.

When the Explorer went to a crossover style, unibody chasis in 2011, the Sport Trac no longer had a production line to piggyback on. The car business was in the dumps anyway. Alan Mulally, the CEO at the time, was on a mission to unify platforms, kill unneeded capacity, and make the entire company more efficient. There was no way Ford could justify keeping a line open for the limited volume of the Sport Trac.

It was always a production line filler at the Louisville plant, where they made the Explorer and Mountainer. The Sport Trac rolled off the same line. When they first came out, Ford was selling 40 to 50 thousand a year. They had the extra capacity on the line. It was very economical and profitable to simply make more vehicles on the same production line. Same thing when they brought out the redesigned Explorer in '07; Sport Trac had the same underpinnings, so they just made more on the same line.

When the Explorer went to a crossover style, unibody chasis in 2011, the Sport Trac no longer had a production line to piggyback on. The car business was in the dumps anyway. Alan Mulally, the CEO at the time, was on a mission to unify platforms, kill unneeded capacity, and make the entire company more efficient. There was no way Ford could justify keeping a line open for the limited volume of the Sport Trac.[/QUO
I've always liked the look of the aportrac ever since they came out. I've had mine for three years and have enjoyed it. I've never had a chance to drive one with a v6. It took a while to find the one I have but I wanted v8 and 4 wheel drive. It's white but would have premieres a different color.

Back
Top Bottom