• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sports "Heroes"

strider12

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
233   0
Reaction score
After scoring 4 goals in a shootout to beat the Russian hockey team in the Olympics yesterday TJ Oshie, originally from Minnesota, was asked about being an American hero.

How was his response different from LeBron James?

img.tapatalk.com_d_14_02_16_rugutyhu.jpg

Here's the thing. The term "hero" is thrown around way too much. In my opinion not everyone that is wearing a "camo" uniform is a hero. A service member who goes above and beyond, maybe saving a life or lives, could be called a hero. Definitely one that gives their life in the service of their country. Hero should be reserved for a select few.

Another thing that I am noticing among the ranks, is that everyone from the lowest private up into the highest ranking seem to be DEMANDING the respect and honor that normally would be EARNED. If a celeb dies and it goes viral, army buddies will start to say "f*** that guy, an Army guy died and nobody said s***. When did we start to put ourselves above normal citizens? That celeb still has family members that are devestated, and may like the showings of support.
I didn't take the oath so that I could become famous, or a "hero". I did it out of respect for my country and a desire to serve. Military members need to stop the primadonna crap. Silent Professionalism is a term I hear every now and again.

And there can be Sports heroes, little kids that don't quite understand the sacrifices of the services may call a sports player their "hero", so what!

Back
Top Bottom