• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Sportsmans Guide and credit fraud

GeorgiaHunter

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
35   0
Reaction score
Just got a text from my Regions Visa card. There was a fraud alert on a purchase. When we checked our CC account online we noticed several other charges that were obviously not ours. These all happened shortly after using the card for a purchase from Sportsmans Guide. The Sportsmans Guide charge was mine and this is the first time I have ever bought anything from them.
So I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Unless Sportsman's Guide had some sort of payment system data breach, the fact that you had fraudulent charges occur right after purchasing from them is probably just coincidence. Your card info could have been stolen from any place else beforehand, or maybe skimmed at a gas station, etc.

In the security world, there are said to be two kinds of companies. Those that have had a data breach, and those that haven't discovered it yet.

It's a sad fact that regardless of the hardening done by e-tailers, your CC info is bound to get stolen or guessed sooner or later and used fraudulently, most typically online. The more you use your card, the higher the risk. My Amex gets dinged about once every two years and I have to get it replaced. I can't prove it, but I'm pretty sure the last two times have been wait staff at a restaurant lifting my info. Most recent, a week after, someone tried to buy stuff from Dick's, somewhere I now refuse to shop and have never purchased from before online.

This is also why I NEVER use my bank ATM/debit/Visa anywhere but the bank's ATM.

Had my capital one card stolen twice and the idiots tried to buy 500 at gas stations. Who spends that much at a freaking gas station? But they have their fraud protection where you aren't liable for it and they are with security about like Google is when you sign in on a new device :pound:. I would never use my debit card anywhere besides my banks ATM.

In the security world, there are said to be two kinds of companies. Those that have had a data breach, and those that haven't discovered it yet.

It's a sad fact that regardless of the hardening done by e-tailers, your CC info is bound to get stolen or guessed sooner or later and used fraudulently, most typically online. The more you use your card, the higher the risk. My Amex gets dinged about once every two years and I have to get it replaced. I can't prove it, but I'm pretty sure the last two times have been wait staff at a restaurant lifting my info. Most recent, a week after, someone tried to buy stuff from Dick's, somewhere I now refuse to shop and have never purchased from before online.

This is also why I NEVER use my bank ATM/debit/Visa anywhere but the bank's ATM.

Dont forget the third type of company. One that wont disclose it.

If you don't have a RFID prevention card holder in your wallet or purse it can be scanned by someone near you. Firmly believe that happened to my wife several years ago. She had a card number that had never been used stolen and tried to be used in California.

Only time we had compromised cards was when we would vacation in Florida. Someone would steal the cc information and next thing ya know we're getting calls from the cc companies...we put everything on cc's and rarely carry cash but pay the cards off at the end of every month.

Those fast food workers just lookin' for a little come-up is all...or waitresses.

Cool thing about the fraud is we've never had to pay for anything we didn't buy.

And here's a tip - when the cc company says they are mailing you a replacement card you can ask that they overnight it instead and it doesn't cost a thing.

Just got a text from my Regions Visa card. There was a fraud alert on a purchase. When we checked our CC account online we noticed several other charges that were obviously not ours. These all happened shortly after using the card for a purchase from Sportsmans Guide. The Sportsmans Guide charge was mine and this is the first time I have ever bought anything from them.
So I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Hey bud, I’ve been buying from them for a long time, and while I’ve had tons of fraud alerts, I don’t think they’re related. I think that site is good to go and I’ve spoken with a lot of the people over there and they’ve always taken pretty good care of me. If you think they may have been a factor, don’t use them anymore. They do have a pretty secure website from what I can tell. My guess would be just an unlucky coincidence.

Back
Top Bottom