• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

springfield 1911 gi won't chamber hollow points

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try the new mag before taking it to the gunsmith. Like I said, I use Chip McCormick mags in my GI and never had a problem with JHP or FMJ. The Wilson mag may solve your problem.

i bought wilson combat magazines and i use a hornady hp bullet and it works wonders, it was just the bullet design form the old hollow point i was using

Last edited:
It's not a bug it's a feature ;)

This gun was not designed to use modern hollowpoints ....... it was designed for 230gr ball ammo.

Having said that though I have good luck feeding Hornady Critical Defense or Zombie Max ammo (they're the same thing really) in these guns with zero failures. The profile of the CD ammo is basically the same profile as ball ammo with a hollow point cavity behind the little rubber
nose. Also, unlike most commodity hollowpoints, the critical defense ammo doesn't get the tip fouled and fail to expand .... alot of hollowpoints if they hit an intermediate barrier or even thick cloth will fill the hollow point and fail to expand acting like hard ball ammo.

i bought a used springfield 1911 gi and 1/2 the time the larger cavity hollow points(fiochhi shooting dynamics 45 acp) wont chamber when i manually chamber a round unless i pull the slide back and forth a pinch forcing it to chamber the fiocchi hp(pushing the bullet into the brass), but when i fire it say 3 or more shots in a row at the range it will chamber perfectly,

the hornady critical defense has a smaller hollow point cavity so it will accept it easily due it it designed more like a full metal jacket shape will chamber manually without a lot of force on my part and auto chamber perfectly

the springfield 1911 mill-spec that i am selling right now never gave me this problem and worked great with hollow points (i repeat the one i am selling does not have this problem)

from what i have read the old gi was a step below the current mil-spec in quality

how can i have this problem fixed and what is the cost? i read elsewhere about changing feed ramp angle and polishing

:lalala:

Like a Glock has never had a problem with certain ammo...

I mean is the answer to every question "get a glock?" The guy has a Springer with a feed issue. He didnt ask what to replace it with.
My car wont start - Get a Glock G whatever...
My night sights are dim - Get a glock G whatever..
My gun feels like a swollen cyst in my hand - get a glock G whatever, oh wait, it sounds like you already have one...

Dakota if you want to try a different mag then shoot me a PM. Ill be at Big Woods Goods this weekend and your welcome to try one of mine.
I wish Glock made cars. They would be big and dumb looking, but get 200MPG, never need an oil change.. and if you ever did something dumb to mess it up, just take it down to Smyrna and they'll fix it for you on the spot, no questions asked!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom