Stand advice

Shutter Monkey

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
3   0
Reaction score
I've recently had the opportunity to hunt some land that has not been legally hunted in 5 years. A couple of weeks ago my friend and I decided to scout it pretty thoroughly. The land is about 200 acres of mixed woodland bounded on one side by a road and the other side a creek and a sewer line cut/easement.

There is a patch of about 75 acres in the middle that is very very thick brush that is bounded by 2 old logging roads and an AT&T cut. on the AT&T cut I counted 4 enormous and fresh scrapes at a regular spacing of about 50 yards apart and at the 3 corners of the thick woods on the logging roads were a whole bunch of freshly rubbed saplings.

Obviously the deer are hanging in the impenetrable brush/woods in the middle, where do you think the best chance to ambush one of these bucks might be?

Judging by the size of the rubs, they're enormous!

Where there is a pinch point, the heavy brush is most likely their bedding area be careful about getting to close to it, look for the entrance and their exit points. Put up some trail cams and vary your times you check them. Always carry your rifle you will get surprised one these days and run into one and if you have no gun with you you will regret it for a long time...

Be sure and do not touch the scrapes or rubs what so ever...

just a simple suggestion.

Update;
We really only have had 6 weeks to work this property and we've spent most of that time trying to pattern the herd. I've seen loads of deer, does on buck only days and spikes on either sex days (figures right?).

Any hoo, I found a couple of fresh scrapes on the edge of a natural funnel coming from thick forest leading to a feeding area and put a camera on it. AND on the very last day of the season I found these 2 10 pointers on the camera... now they just have to come back next year!

buck1.jpg
buck2.jpg

Where there is a pinch point, the heavy brush is most likely their bedding area be careful about getting to close to it, look for the entrance and their exit points. Put up some trail cams and vary your times you check them. Always carry your rifle you will get surprised one these days and run into one and if you have no gun with you you will regret it for a long time...

Be sure and do not touch the scrapes or rubs what so ever...

just a simple suggestion.
Agreed, stay out of the bedding area and play the wind when hunting near the heavy stuff

Back
Top Bottom