• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stand by generator

Ruger34

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
I Reckon So
232   0
Reaction score
Ok so I am looking into getting a stand by generator to run most things in the house when the power goes out, I live a ways out and there are only 7 houses in my area so when the power goes out I am more often than not the last one to get it back on.
With that being said I am looking at getting a 16000 watt generac that runs on lp with a smart switch so it automatically comes on when the power goes out. With all that said what are the pros and cons other brands ect.ect.

We’ve had a little gasoline powered Generac that we have to roll out of the garage and pull start to crank. It’s worked fine for years, just a PITA to mess with in cold, wet conditions.
Getting too old to play those games. If we decide to stay in our current house awhile longer, I’ll definitely swap out to a natural gas Generac with the automatic transfer switch.

I own both a Generac portable generator and a whole house propane system. I'm a Generac fan for life. My standby is a 20kw and it will power everything I have. I got mine from Lowe's and couldn't be happier.

I'm pleased with Generac, I'm using one of their portable 30-amp 240v models, button start, paid around $1100 6-yrs ago with the 25' heavy-duty chord that I can plug into a manual disconnect that my electrician installed for around $800

I hit a button, throw the disconnect handle and decide which breakers to keep on.. enough to light the house, yard flood lights, power the fridge, charge the tablet/phone, watch TV, stay cool or warm and keep my belly full.. well, for about 5 hours when the gasoline needs re-filled :lol:

QqNEQzcl.jpg

I have considered that option as well, I work put of town alot and wanted somthing easier for my wife

We had one that ran on natural gas at the fire station that came on by it self when the power went out, don’t know the brand but after a few years we did have occasional problem. Had to make sure battery was charged and the computer part was serviced but was convenient for sure

We have had a separate internal wiring system for a generator to hook up to well pump, hot water heater and refrigerator. Worked well for years. Did convert 5,000w and 6,000w generators from gasoline to propane. Had to replace hot water heater and got a new model with a computer chip brain. After a few days of generator use, the computer brain fried as the 'wave' from generator was not compatible with computer chips in heater. Heater folks sent a new brain overnight but I did not install it until power was restored. Make sure your generator has the compatible 'wave' to your appliances.

We have had a separate internal wiring system for a generator to hook up to well pump, hot water heater and refrigerator. Worked well for years. Did convert 5,000w and 6,000w generators from gasoline to propane. Had to replace hot water heater and got a new model with a computer chip brain. After a few days of generator use, the computer brain fried as the 'wave' from generator was not compatible with computer chips in heater. Heater folks sent a new brain overnight but I did not install it until power was restored. Make sure your generator has the compatible 'wave' to your appliances.

Pure sine wave is what you are referring to.

Far and away, most generatorsput out a square sine wave. As you discovered, that will destroy digital devices. My neighbor had to replace TV, water heater , washer and fridge after trying to run his house on a portable generator

Good info. We replaced all our kitchen appliances during a remodel last year, probably should have someone come out and check my old generator’s output. Would hate to fry those expensive little brains.

Back
Top Bottom