• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Started my First knife project! (Finished)

IceColdEric

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
18   0
Reaction score
I have been wanting to attempt making a knife for some time. Well I finally got started. Everything has been done with common tools around the garage. So..... ALOT of filing!! Although it has been a ton of work I have throughly enjoyed he project. Heat treat may be a bust because it is somewhat a mystery steel. I know it is quality tool steel but not sure what type. Oh well..... I have learned a lot and it will definitely not be the last one!

Here is progress so far... Did I mention TONS of filing?!?

image.jpeg

Nice work. Don't forget to drill your handle for pins if you plan on having handle scales. Needs to be done before heat treat for sure.

Hopefully you'll get lucky when you heat treat it. If you enjoy it, I'd suggest buying a piece of known steel. You won't have a big investment in that and it will really payoff so you end up with a finished product that will harden properly.

Nice work. Don't forget to drill your handle for pins if you plan on having handle scales. Needs to be done before heat treat for sure.

Hopefully you'll get lucky when you heat treat it. If you enjoy it, I'd suggest buying a piece of known steel. You won't have a big investment in that and it will really payoff so you end up with a finished product that will harden properly.

Yeah I still have some touch up filing. I plan on adding a bit of jimping and pin holes soon before the heat treat. This one will likely get walnut handle scales since I have some laying around! I'm trying to add several aspects to the knife since it is basically for experience.

Most definitely my last knife from mystery steel! It is just too much work to not know how to heat treat properly.

Back
Top Bottom