• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Starting a AR10 build

ar15-308-compatible-buffers-list.jpg

A standard carbine receiver extension is 7.125".

A .308/AR10 specific RE is 7.9375".

A standard rifle RE is 9.625".

When building an AR10:

1. DPMS .308 "shorty" buffer: use with a standard carbine receiver extension and spring

2. ArmaLite AR-10 carbine buffer: use with the .308/AR10 specific RE

3. AR-15 carbine buffer: use with the .308/AR10 specific RE

4. AR-15 rifle buffer

5. ArmaLite AR-10 rifle buffer: use with a standard rifle RE

For .308 rifles using a mid-length gas system and carbine RE, a buffer weight of 3.8 ounces to 5.5 ounces works best.

I’m not going to attempt to pretend I have 1/10th the knowledge that cmshoot has…just to share my experience with three .308 AR’s I’ve owned.

DPMS LR-308: butchered the hell out of heavier rounds (175-180grn) but shot 150grn fine. I tried carbine extensions and rifle…adjustable and fixed, carbine buffers, rifle buffers…never could get it to shoot heavier bullets without case swipes, blown primers, sheared heads etc. It was an expensive headache. Eventually I figured it was only going to shoot 150’s only 🤷‍♂️

PSA Gen 3 PA-10 factory built. Case head swipes and ejection issues. I swapped for a Springco spring and a 5.4oz buffer (same as greg vess is offering) and it fixed all the problems…smooth, perfect timing, case swipe eliminated, proper ejection, and not near as hard on the shoulder. Ran like a champ with the buffer and spring swap only. It was a cheap, easy, quick fix and fun to shoot.

Sig Tread 716i: factory. Runs perfectly out of the box. No adjustments or parts swap needed. It’s great but I kinda wanna tinker but can’t justify fixing what ain’t broke (yet 😉)

TL;DR version: Sometimes you’ll have to tinker to get it right. Sometimes you don’t. Tinkering is fun but expensive. I’d buy Vess’s buffer and spring. Have fun, good luck!

Yes, I understand that I will need a carbine buffer for a 308 and they are not the same as the AR15 buffer.
Thanks for the info.
2.5 inches in length. Preferably 5.6 oz. is the weight of mine. Or the Springco orange spring. Actually Springco offers a 3 spring pack for running your rifle. Just thought I would add that. Good luck and happy hunting Amigo!

Got my SLR Rifleworks in and on " installed " today. So a good bolt carrier groups is next on the menu. Dang Handguard was 300 plus but I want a solid piece and I have heard a lot of good reviews from their products. Looks great and every angle is covered as far as anti-rotation and no forward slip.
I have some parts that need upgrading. Mainly the gas block, trigger and muzzle brake. The ambi-charging handle is in route. It's a Aero Breach large level job. It going to cost another 300 for the BCG, 100 for the gas block I want, probably 100 plus for the muzzle brake and the trigger could be anywhere from 120 to 220 depending on which I go with. One medium size order will take care of that. Here is how it stands right now. I love the handguard.
IMG_20240208_113551305.jpg
IMG_20240208_113657517.jpg

Back
Top Bottom