• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

State employee carry question

At a previous job involving a company vehicle, I was permitted to carry specifically for the purpose of when I LEFT THE VEHICLE. Under no circumstances was I allowed to use the gun or wear the gun or display the gun on the seat as an employee of this company.

That being said, when I left the vehicle I was given permission to carry the weapon on my person and this was an action of my own free will completely independent of the company I worked for. All employees who made the decision to carry on company time were presented with a waiver which VERY SPECIFICALLY outlined any actions involving the weapon was my responsibility and even though I was on company time, in company uniform, and at a customer location... I stood ALONE once I displayed my firearm.

The company was under pressure from the employees due to the places and times of day we had to go out, so they complied with the requests and had their lawyers draw up the paperwork. So the choice was DO NOT CARRY AT ALL, or sign the company indemnification waiver and face the ramifications of any legal fallout should an incident occur.

I bet it is a state policy. It probably has more to do with liability of untrained and non certified people opening the state up to mega lawsuits from improper use. Rules, Policies and Laws are usually a result of something happening and then trying to prevent it from happening again. They seldom work as expected, but it is what it is.

Back
Top Bottom