• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stocking up on Nickels?

There seems to be a drive to stock up on nickels - I've seen this on multiple prepper/survivalist sites. With the ability to buy at face value, you're basically getting a big discount to melt value. The only problem is no market for melting nickels unless you're going to be offering hundreds or thousands of pounds at a time. Even then, I think people are front running stocking nickels in the event that there is some melt value in the future that refiners are willing to pay for.

Pennies seem to offer the same value. But again, no refining market exists for low volume recycling efforts.

If I had $200 in my hand, I'd rather buy 4-5 silver eagles, a 1/10 oz. gold eagle or 90% silver coins. They're highly recognized and easy to trade or sell.

This was the first I have heard of this nickel thing....

I am not planning on buying hundreds of dollars worth of these things, but I would think that if/when the metal composition changes, I would bet the value will jump. Keep in mind that not much of that pre-1964 stuff is actually melted down, but it sure has jumped in value like crazy.

A lot of folks turned up their noses at pre-1964 silver for many years, but that stuff ain't passed up so much these days.

Last edited:
I've got a good bit of the pre-64 / junk silver myself. I wish I had more dimes...they'll be the easiest to work with if it comes to bartering!

I started keeping the nickels when I empty out my Coke machine at work. Not really sure why, but maybe someday I'll have enough to buy a really nice aluminum foil hat.

Back
Top Bottom