• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Stocking up on reloading components

a__l__a__n

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
33   0
Reaction score
I'm considering building up my inventory of reloading components. So I'm thinking through the safety aspect of storing larger quantities of powders and primers in the house.

Would I be crazy to stock five to ten thousand primers and 4 to 8 pounds of powder in my basement? (finished basement, plenty dry, climate controlled...)

no problem at all. I typically keep about 10k primers around and 20lbs of powder most of the time. any less and I start to feel like somethings missing. :)

depending upon how much i am reloading, I keep the primers in ammo cans, and the powder in a wood cabinet.

I'm approaching retirement and I figure it might make sense to stock up while I can still afford it!

8 lbs of Bullseye would load 16,000 38 special cases at 3.5 grains per round.
8 lbs or Accurate #9 would load around 4,000 357 magnum cases at 13.8 grains per round.

So maybe I need 20k primers.

At the rate I shoot, that would last me a few years. Just in case, I'd better teach my heirs how to reload. :p

If you are shooting Bullseye, you better teach your heirs how to clean guns. I quit shooting BE because it is so dirty.

Ditto! The only thing I load with it any more is .44 Magnum shot shells for the Redhawk.

I have about 15 pounds of powder in the house (on top of my safe). I keep the primers in ammo cans out in my "reloading building". You should be OK keeping them in the basement.

I don't think that qualifies as stock piling? I typically keep considerably more supplies in my home.

Keep it cool and dry, it'll be fine. I buy stuff when it's on sale, and when I buy online, I buy enough to easily
offset the hazmat charges.

They are fine as long as they are dry and out of temperature extremes and direct sunlight. If you think about it - they are stacked up on shelves in (a few) gunstores in much larger quantities then we are talking about.

If you are shooting Bullseye, you better teach your heirs how to clean guns. I quit shooting BE because it is so dirty.

I inherited a supply of Bullseye so that's what I've been using for 38 special. I've started to consider a move to AA#2 or similar when I restock. But some folks say it's the lube, not the powder, that makes all that smoke and residue. And some folks say that since you're going to clean your gun anyway it doesn't really matter.

My Bullseye is pretty old, and their more recent product claims to burn cleaner. Anyway, for some reason I've had batches that are really smokey and batches that are not. Same SWC (at least the same source, but possibly different batches).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom