• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stockpile question?

MarkyyDee

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
38   1
Reaction score
So I understand when it's comes to my AK and AR FMJ ammo is fine to stock up on, but what about my 9s, 45s, and 357sig? Do you think it's better to stock up on FMJ or JHP? With 45 I'm pretty confident in FMJ, I'm but definitely curious about the 9mm and 357sig, seeing as how I can get a 2:1-3:1 ratio FMJ to JHP for the same amount of money

If your' stocking up for the inevitable zombie apocalypse, fmj is fine, because you'll be taking head shots, of course. Don't buy a lot of hp's until you've tried them without fail in your gun/guns. Also consider you might get other types of guns, and they might not like a particular hp load, whereas fmj's will generally function in anything. Once you find a reliable defense load, buy in bulk, to save $. As far as the fmj's, I don't foresee ammo prices going any lower, so: 'buy it cheap, & stack it deep!'

I guess it depends on WHY you feel the need to stock up on large volumes of ammo?
manufactures are going to quit making ammo?
ban of ammo sale to civilians??
IF you are thinking about world apocalypse then you will likely be shooting at targets to wound/kill and possibly need to penetrate semi hard barriers to do so, then FMJ is the ticket.
If considering the Government taking over and you fighting them then I would pick what ever will take out a F-17 or Stealthy attack helicopter outfitted with missiles and full automatic weapons.

A bit of HP will not hurt. FMJ for the bulk of the stock pile. I like Speer Lawman in 9mm. It is FMJ, but it has a flat nose, stil feeds like FMJ, but should be more effective than a regular round nose NATO FMJ.
7.62x39 JHP is not much more than FMJ, so the choice is clear to stock up on JHP AK ammo. All AKs I've tried it in, worked great.

SOme good things to think about in other posts. I stock up on FMJ, so I can go to the range for cheap. I also keep a few hundred rounds of HP, once I confirmed my guns like that brand/load. Don't make my mistake. I bought some HP that one of my 45's didn't like and it did not load consistently. Once I found a load and brand that both 45's liked, I went with that.

I don't stock up for the zombie apocalypse, but do have enough to keep me in business should supply become limited for some reason. Buying in bulk is always cheaper (convinced the Mrs that this was the reason to do so... ;)

Back
Top Bottom