Stolen gun on ODT

Do you have your guns off ODT checked by police?

• Yes, I'm safe.

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • No, I'll take my chances.

Votes: 27 93.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Say you do run the numbers and it comes back stolen. You start a chain of events that (assuming you traded with an established member, not a new guy with evil intent) may go back several trades and owners. You give up the stolen gun, whomever you traded with has to return the one you traded and he contacts the person he got it (the stolen firearm) from, everyone has a conversation with LE explaining the chain of ownership until it gets to someone who can't explain/prove where they got the firearm? Is that how it would theoretically work?

Say you do run the numbers and it comes back stolen. You start a chain of events that (assuming you traded with an established member, not a new guy with evil intent) may go back several trades and owners. You give up the stolen gun, whomever you traded with has to return the one you traded and he contacts the person he got it (the stolen firearm) from, everyone has a conversation with LE explaining the chain of ownership until it gets to someone who can't explain/prove where they got the firearm? Is that how it would theoretically work?

No you just keep carrying the Gun (stolen) until you need to protect yourself (alone no witness) and the perp is dead and the cops runs the weapon and comes back stolen.And you have a heck time explaining.

I work a full time job and that sounds like a lot of time down at the police department, along with a bad feed back score lol, and over all a lot of finger pointing and explaining... It beats a felony charge though I guess.

No you just keep carrying the Gun (stolen) until you need to protect yourself (alone no witness) and the perp is dead and the cops runs the weapon and comes back stolen.And you have a heck time explaining.

It's an honest question... not a smart ass reply
I'm curious as to what happens.
Has anyone had this happen, other than the recent "trade in" that played out.

It's an honest question... not a smart ass reply
I'm curious as to what happens.
Has anyone had this happen, other than the recent "trade in" that played out.
there have been 2 or 3 occuranves that I've known about, one was Okuma Steve if I remember. Basically, if the deal is too good to be true (glock for 200, sig for 400 etc) use your head. If you paid an honest retail price for it and everything seemed legit, but for whatever reason, it gets reported stolen, simply 1. get an attorney, and 2. give the police all the information about where it came from. Private messages, texts, emails, etc, even if you have to retrieve records from the odt. Bill of sale won't protect you, hell a criminal could make up a fake name/license and write up a bill of sale. Still worthless. If it worries you that much, do a 4473 on it. Go down to a dealer and do a transfer.

I know if you get a weapon from a trusted member or someone you know it lessens the risk.

But with some of the guns that have changed hands soooooo many times, who knows the real origin? Its like the guy you ask if he and his girl use condoms. He says "no we are monogamous" but its his fourth "monogamous" relationship he's had in the last 2 years... and the same applies for her...

Last edited:
Good thread. Feel free to give me your thoughts on my method. For an outright sale or trade I do not require a BOS, I provide the buyer or trader with the opportunity to look at my CWL and expect the same. Before I agree to the deal or meet I verify the other party has a CWL. At the meet I verify that I am the owner and where I obtained the gun and expect the same on a trade. On a buy meet I always ask where they got the gun and ask do they have any reason to believe the gun may be stolen. In doing these things I "think" I am buffering myself form a Theft by Receiving charge because of my due diligence. I believe there has to be malicious intent to constitute a crime. I probably miss some good deals from sellers w/o a CWL but would rather be safe than sorry.

Yeah, my carry guns are concealed, if and when the authorities need to check will be after it saved my life or someone else's. I did not steal it so I will deal with those questions if and when.

I guess there are a couple of different facets to the question. If you do "buffer" yourself you could avoid charges for receiving stolen property, not an expert there but assuming common sense prevails, which is definitely not a given.

But you are still out your weapon as a minimum...

Would you give up private sales or trades at that point?
I don't know that I could stomach that happening a second time. Nevermind trying to explain it to LE the second time...

Back
Top Bottom