Stolen gun on ODT

Do you have your guns off ODT checked by police?

• Yes, I'm safe.

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • No, I'll take my chances.

Votes: 27 93.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
just curious if other users on here carry or conceal carry a gun they have traded for, or bought from someone off the ODT...? or if you dont carry any firearm unless its bought by you from a LGS or an FFL dealer, in the event that it might be stolen? ive carried guns ive bought and traded for off the site but ive always wondered where the gun came from? how many owners has it had? has an owner reported it stolen? does anyone else feel the same way and will a bill of sale really keep you from getting locked up if a cop runs your gun and it comes back stolen?? will the judge wave the charge for "receiving stolen property" on a felony gun charge just because you have a piece of paper showing a sale? will both partys be charged?? yall know how the court system works... IT DONT.:confused:

I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR YOUR THOUGHTS!

dont say im paraniod or anything because i carry everyday and my carry weapon changes in some cases day to day depending on what im wearing.... If im in shorts and a tee im not packing a GLOCK 21, itll be my 30. understand?

Sorry bone, I started a poll after I posted on your thread. Didn't realize you'd turned yours into a poll. I'll close mine out...

So imagine this is the scenario... perhaps this gets to the heart of the matter...

You take a firearm you recently received in a trade to your local LEO and ask them to check the numbers to see if its stolen. Sure enough it was reported stolen 5 years ago in another state. They thank you for your good deed, take the weapon in question, and give you a refund of your purchase price or the value of whatever you traded, yada yada yada. .. (stupid scenario I know).

Wouldn't we all get all our trades checked?

But that's not how it works. The (stolen) gun you traded for is gone... poof. The gun you traded for the stolen gun, maybe you get it back, maybe you don't.

Bottle line is you are left holding the bag so too speak...

Is THAT why we don't check every trade? If the weapon IS stolen, we don't want to know? Because if it IS we are gonna get stuck holding the bag?

Comments?

So imagine this is the scenario... perhaps this gets to the heart of the matter...

You take a firearm you recently received in a trade to your local LEO and ask them to check the numbers to see if its stolen. Sure enough it was reported stolen 5 years ago in another state. They thank you for your good deed, take the weapon in question, and give you a refund of your purchase price or the value of whatever you traded, yada yada yada. .. (stupid scenario I know).

But that's not how it works. The (stolen) gun you traded for is gone... poof. The gun you traded for the stolen gun, maybe you get it back, maybe you don't.

Is THAT why we don't check every trade? If the weapon IS stolen, we don't want to know? Because if it IS we are gonna get stuck holding the bag?

Comments?

I only trade/buy from people I trust.
If the person is sketchy, then I don't trade.
I dont do a lot of trading/buying so im not one of these get a gun that has changed hands dozens of times kind of guys.

Comments?

Interesting question..i will answer by telling a story of a trade gone wrong on GON website.
A man goes to a meet to sell a gun and accepts $500 cash in payment..(5-$100bills)
a few minutes later we meet to also do a gun deal and his is fuming angry!!..he stopped to buy a Mcdonalds burger and they checked his $100 bill and it showed fake..they checked ALL 5 $100 bills and they all showed phoney/fake...

Now lets say that just happened to you?..Do you?

A.Call the feds to surrender the phoney bills to and be out $500
2.Try and spend them or pass'm to the next 5 stores you come too..
C.Deposit money..hope bank gets stuck with them..

Well..which did you choose?

Out of all the guns in the house, only 1 was purchased at LGS (by the wife), everything else has been a private sale.

However out of the private sales I've purchased one gun from a Duluth Cop (w/BOS), one from a dealer (private sale), At least 2 that were NIB, and unfired (highly unlikely that they are stolen), all the rest were private sales with established members, with feedback and I have some type of documentation from all of them. I tend to print out the PM's and keep track of whatever info I can on the deal, in case I ever need to explain ownership. Some deals I have done BOS, and the seller let me write down his license and GWL numbers. Other deals I have very little other than the PM's.

Does that guarantee they arent stolen? No, but I believe that a court isnt going to convict you of a crime if you can show ownership history, and prove that you had no knowledge the weapon was stolen. Is that a potential pain in the ass? Sure, does it keep me awake at night? No.

Interesting question..i will answer by telling a story of a trade gone wrong on GON website.
A man goes to a meet to sell a gun and accepts $500 cash in payment..(5-$100bills)
a few minutes later we meet to also do a gun deal and his is fuming angry!!..he stopped to buy a Mcdonalds burger and they checked his $100 bill and it showed fake..they checked ALL 5 $100 bills and they all showed phoney/fake...

Now lets say that just happened to you?..Do you?

A.Call the feds to surrender the phoney bills to and be out $500
2.Try and spend them or pass'm to the next 5 stores you come too..
C.Deposit money..hope bank gets stuck with them..

Well..which did you choose?

Great analogy... except with a firearm, you can continue to use and get use out of it without real concern that its use will require any verification it is legitimate. You cant do the same with money. Eventually its gonna be spent to be worth anything, and when it is spent, unless it is again through a private party, its going to be checked.

Say same scenario however the guy doesn't stop at McDonalds. He goes straight to another deal where he is meeting another member to buy a rifle for $500. Does the guy have the bills checked at a local bank first to ensure they are not counterfeit before passing them along to another member?

Things that make you go hmmmmmm....

I get ID info from the seller,vehicle tag #,and depending on my gut feeling,may tell him that I will run the gun to see if it`s stolen.I can have the ser.no. run with just a phone call.I have friends and family in LE.

Back
Top Bottom