Story on Channel 9 News re:Use of Deadly Force Laws & Mandatory Training Laws

Looks like I might be in the minority here but I thought that the TV bit was pretty good and that PM did a good job of explaining. I know that the media has a bad habit of cutting out pieces of the interview to suit their agenda so I always take that into account.

I dont talk to the media

They will distort your message in one way or another.
Looks like I might be in the minority here but I thought that the TV bit was pretty good and that PM did a good job of explaining. I know that the media has a bad habit of cutting out pieces of the interview to suit their agenda so I always take that into account.

Correct. They aired a couple minutes out of an hour & a half interview.
The 6:00 version was pretty accurate but as feared in the 11:00 one they took a soundbite where ironically I was saying that the TN mandated training was watered down & "not enough"... & made it sound like I was referring to Ga's lack of mandated training.

How about that?

Correct. They aired a couple minutes out of an hour & a half interview.
The 6:00 version was pretty accurate but as feared in the 11:00 one they took a soundbite where ironically I was saying that the TN mandated training was watered down & "not enough"... & made it sound like I was referring to Ga's lack of mandated training.

How about that?
not surprised

my statement was a general one about all media

problem is they are presenting your opinion or statements in their words. if they get something wrong, well tough ****, they make the news and you have no avenue to retort

when i was young (6th grade) me and my pal were skateboarding. a news crew asked to film us for our segment. later on the story was about skaeboarders not being safe and what not. the only clip they showed out of all the video was me bailing and my buddy doing half a trick (to where it looked like he was gonna fall). since then, if i was asked for an interview or to be part of the news i have said "hell no"

I do a lot of media interviews. The interview itself often takes 20 to 30 minutes, but what you see on screen is a minute or two. A lot of things get cut out depending upon the time allotted for the piece, and quite frankly, editorial choices. This can lead to context issues. You also run into more context issues when the reporter paraphrases things from parts of the interview that are not on air.

Print media is no better.

----------
As to the statement on property, "In most cases, you cannot use lethal force to protect property", that's actually an accurate statement.

For instance, if you look out your window and see that someone is pulling out of your driveway in your car, you can't run out of the house and fire shots into the vehicle to stop the theft.

In you are in the car and someone tries to steal it, that's a different story.

I do a lot of media interviews. The interview itself often takes 20 to 30 minutes, but what you see on screen is a minute or two. A lot of things get cut out depending upon the time allotted for the piece, and quite frankly, editorial choices. This can lead to context issues. You also run into more context issues when the reporter paraphrases things from parts of the interview that are not on air.

Print media is no better.

----------
As to the statement on property, "In most cases, you cannot use lethal force to protect property", that's actually an accurate statement.

For instance, if you look out your window and see that someone is pulling out of your driveway in your car, you can't run out of the house and fire shots into the vehicle to stop the theft.

In you are in the car and someone tries to steal it, that's a different story.

Of the cases where local courts have sentenced some offenders to take a modified gun "safety" class with me as part of their probation for misdemeanor firearms offenses one elderly gentleman in particular learned the hard way that "in most cases" where death/ grave bodily injury is not at risk, you cannot use deadly force.
My fee was the same as any other class.... but the attorneys bills & court costs were another matter altogether.

Back
Top Bottom