• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stuck firing-pin retaining pin, Sig 226

xdmatt

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
45   0
Reaction score
Hello, all.

I have a Sig P226 slide that I want to have bead blasted and refinished. To do so, I'd like to remove the firing pin via the retaining pin. The thing will not budge. I've soaked it in break free, and tried different tools after my punch bent from the attempts to no avail. Any ideas? It's almost like it's fused in there now.

I'm not the original owner and the pin was kind of mashed to begin with.

Sig Tip #1 (Firing Pin Position Pin Install/Removal)
Removing the Firing Pin Position Pin (FPPP) on the Sig Sauer Classic line (P220, P226, P229, P239) can be a little tricky. If your Sig has a roll FPPP, it is best to remove it with a roll pin punch. Or, if your pistol has a knurled/convex type FPPP, a cup pin punch is required. Remember not to drive the punch too far into the slide hole or the punch may get stuck and enlarge the hole. Tap the punch gently. Don't pound it! Remember to always remove the pin from right to left. And, install the new pin from left to right. It is very important to remember that before you install a new FPPP that the firing pin is pushed all the way forward. This typically requires a third hand. You must first push down on the safety lock, push the firing pin forward, then tap the new position pin into place. Failure to do this will result in damage to the firing pin. The factory recommends that you always replace the FPPP with a new one after the old one has been removed.

John Flagg
Certified Sig Sauer LE Armorer
Authorized Sig Sauer LE/Military Dealer

Reason why Top gun Supply has 3mm cup pin punch set. A short one to break loose the FPPP then the longer one to drive FPPP through slide. Using typical flat pin punch will cause the convex end to mushroom....

Thanks, all. I finally got it out last night. I've read they tend to heat-weld themselves in, which is what appears to have happened here. I'm going to but some replacement pins from top gun supply.

Thanks, all. I finally got it out last night. I've read they tend to heat-weld themselves in, which is what appears to have happened here. I'm going to but some replacement pins from top gun supply.

would you care to share how you got it out?

Back
Top Bottom