• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stuck taper pin on AR15 FSB

Shovelhead

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
82   0
Reaction score
Brand new unfired upper. I wanted to go with a floated handguard and low profile gas block.
I've done the job a number of times before (no issues) With this one 1 pin smacked out no problem, but the second one has whipped my ass for 3 days. I've had to take many breaks or I'd toss the damn thing. It's a PSA upper, I'm using a Wheeler bench block, I've tried liquid wrench, heating it, using a large diameter punch , a 2 lb sledge, watched every Youtube there is. It's still stuck.

I'm nearly ready to break out the Dremel tool. Toasting the FSB isnt an issue it would be tossed anyhow. Oh I tried a file to get the pin down flat it is still slightly rounded and yes I tried a recessed starter punch too . Pins must be dang hard that file hasnt done a thing.

So now what? Ideas?

Brand new unfired upper. I wanted to go with a floated handguard and low profile gas block.
I've done the job a number of times before (no issues) With this one 1 pin smacked out no problem, but the second one has whipped my ass for 3 days. I've had to take many breaks or I'd toss the damn thing. It's a PSA upper, I'm using a Wheeler bench block, I've tried liquid wrench, heating it, using a large diameter punch , a 2 lb sledge, watched every Youtube there is. It's still stuck.

I'm nearly ready to break out the Dremel tool. Toasting the FSB isnt an issue it would be tossed anyhow. Oh I tried a file to get the pin down flat it is still slightly rounded and yes I tried a recessed starter punch too . Pins must be dang hard that file hasnt done a thing.

So now what? Ideas?

You may have peened it if you have been working on it that long.

Yes, they are hard. A cutoff wheel in your dremmel can make a flat spot if you go slow.

Try a really big hammer, and put it on an anvil or something to act as a big bucking bar. Hit it with some hate.

Whenever I've had problems with a taper, I ditch the bench block. I just use a 2x4 with a hole drilled in it on concrete or anvil and a punch. One good whack with a framing hammer or baby sledge and they've always come out. It's gotta be on a hard surface or the force doesn't transmit to the pin in this scenario if it's in that tight.

When it doesnt move... get a bigger hammer. Long story short I got the taper pin out. 3 bent pin punches. It just took TON's of hammering. No magic here. It was just a bear to move. Thanks for all the input.

Back
Top Bottom