• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stupid hunting stories.....

Thought of another one, was bowhuntin in a old wooden ladder stand down by a creek one morning, my buddy was up the creek probably less than 100 yds away. We had ate some kind of stew that somebody at camp made and it started workin on me bad about a hour after good light, my belly was growlin bad and I could feel a fart building. Like I said "wooden" ladder stand so you know what kind of noise it made.....IT WAS LOUD!!
All of a sudden I heard somethin running and a doe come haulin ass down the creek and stopped right in front of me. Easy 15 yd shot!
i got down and got my arrow and waited for my buddy to get done hunting.
When he came over to me he said he heard a buck grunt just one time that morning.
After I told him what all had happened we both like to have killed ourself laughing.
We still talk about it & it's been 20 years ago now.

When I was about 16 my cousin came up from Florida to hunt with me. We both crammed in the buddy stand and sat for about an hour before he said the ol breakfast burrito he ate earlier was workin his guts. He walked about a hundred yards away and crapped in an old stump hole. Within about 10 seconds the god awful smell hit me. Needless to say he ruined the hunt that morning.

When I was about 16 my cousin came up from Florida to hunt with me. We both crammed in the buddy stand and sat for about an hour before he said the ol breakfast burrito he ate earlier was workin his guts. He walked about a hundred yards away and crapped in an old stump hole. Within about 10 seconds the god awful smell hit me. Needless to say he ruined the hunt that morning.
30PFS impressive

Kinda hard to think of anything other than missing a nice buck (small/medium 8-point, but nice for that area) and not knowing what the hell happened (think the bullet hit a branch and deflected). Never found any blood or hair, only tracks, and no evidence of broken limb deflection. Came home and fired a round at a target and hit the bullseye. Maybe I jerked the trigger? Can tell you one thing though, the gun I hunt with now has a medium weight barrel with no taper (kinda heavy) and a very light and crisp trigger, much improved over the previous set up and much more pleasant to shoot.

Still haven't avenged the miss with that rifle, lol. To be honest, every season before that one I'd took time to go to the shooting range before deer season and get in a few practice shots so I would be prepared for the trigger pull and recoil. I remember that year I'd rested on my laurels, and paid for it. Lesson learned.
On one of the properties we hunt there is one stand that seems to be “ snake bitten”. 3 people so far have shot does out of it and were never recovered. 2 were hunting with 30-06s and one with a 308. Funny though my buddy with his little 243 dropped one in its tracks out of that stand. All shots were less than 50 yards away. I don’t understand the issue with the other guys. There is no limbs or sunlight or anything to obstruct view.

A little over 20 years ago as a much younger man i went out hunting in fresh snow after a night of drinking at hunting camp. It was cold and i was bundled up real good and found a nice spot next to a fallen log. Laying on the ground in the morning sun against the log i fell asleep only to have a buddy of mine kick me awake several hours later. He then proceeded to tell me of the 3 deer he was tracking, 2 does and a decently large buck that walked right past where he found me. Sure enough there were 3 pairs of tracks in the snow that went right around me, 2 on the left side of the tree and a noticeably larger set on the right side maybe 5 feet from where i was.

Here’s one I witnessed and one I created.

Towards the end of bow season one year in FL I drove out of the WMA to sign out. Upon arrival of the sign out I met another hunter who was waiting on a buddy. A red pick up pulls up, his buddy, and yells…
“Hey Bo, remember those two does out in the field?”
“Yeah, so what?”
“Well I killed one.”
“No you didn’t!”
“Yeah I did take a look.”
Then proceed to open the hardshell fiberglass styled bed cover that has shocks to help raise it. Upon inspection I saw what was the world smallest doe. It had to of just lost his spots.
“Where did you hit it?”
“In the head.”
He grabbed the doe by the neck to raise its head. There was a small puncture in the skin on top of its head, but not into the skull. That had me puzzled. As he told his tale he dropped the deer’s head and continued his story. All of a sudden the deer raised his head in a daze.
“That deer is alive!” said his friend.
In one moment the hunter grabbed the deer by the neck and the friend snapped open his knife to cut the deer’s throat. Young deer have very loose skin. As soon as he attempted to slice the throat the deer came to its full senses and began to try and get away. Someone was going to get cut and it wasn’t the deer at this point. The hunter yelled to shut the bed cover after which it sounded like a demolition derby inside of the truck bed.
“What do you got back there?”
“Just my stand…(and then remorsefully)and my bow.”
“What are you going to do?”
“Ah. I’ll go home and get my shotgun and then have the wife open up the tailgate.”
And on his way he went, lol!

Two weekends go by and it is the last weekend for primitive weapons. I was invited to hunt with my friend on his lease. My friend was a quadriplegic who was able to drive and hunt, but needed someone to pour out the corn and open and close the gate. I was happy to join him, but before I could go I discovered that my side-lock muzzleloader had a rusted nipple. I called a friend for a tool and he told me to just come and use his inline, but it would be good for only one shot. He wouldn’t give me everything, just his loaded rifle ready to hunt. I took it and headed to my friends place to drive out to the lease and set up a stand. We get out there, place the stand, pour out the corn, and begin to leave. As we closed up the gate there was about 200yds of clear cut and 45 min left of light. I had a thought that it was the perfect time for deer to move. As we hit the main dirt road and began to speed up I saw a deer in the middle of the cut looking at us.

“Stop the truck! Deer!”

He slowly rolled to a stop and just so happened to put a pile of logs between us and the deer. I jumped out with the rifle and crept up to the log pile, and began to try and creep around it to get a shot if it was a buck. It seemed like I stepped on every dry twig out there in my attempt to do so and as I eased around the deer ran to some tall grass nearby. I could see a little bit of antler as he did. I tried to creep closer to the grass now and more dry twigs found their way underfoot. After closing the distance to about 55-65 yds the buck jumped up and began to run. I placed the crosshairs on him and let the smoke pole bark. BOOM! Smoke goes everywhere. I have no idea if I hit it or what had happened. I looked to the truck to see if my friend knew what had happened, but he didn’t do anything. No honk, yell, nothing. He was on his cell phone at the time and didn’t see it.

I decided I needed walk the way the small spike was running and found him about 50 more yards in a deep rut with his front feet kicking, but his back legs locked up. I had spine shot him. Remember how, I had only one shot. It had now dawned on me that I not only didn’t have a reload, but I didn’t have a knife either. I really didn’t think I was going to shoot anything that afternoon. What should I do? The deer wasn’t dying easily. I look at the rifle. Should I use the butt-stock? Nope, it’s composition plastic type material. A log? Every log I picked up was dry rotted. I had heard of guys breaking the necks of deer. Never seen it, but I had to do something.

Let me tell you, a young deer has an extremely flexible neck. Almost exorcist scary flexible. I could not break the neck of that deer and I think the deer was praying that I would have. I wasn’t sure what else to do. Then it hit me. If you can’t breath, you can’t live. I grabbed the nose and mouth with both hands and held tight for what seemed forever. Finally it seemed the spike was no longer moving or breathing and I dragged it to the bronco. He raised the back lift and I hauled it into a tarp in the back of the bronco. As we were leaving the area we came upon another lease member who was stuck in the road and needed a chain to be pulled out. My buddy said he had one and asked me to go to the back to get it out for them.
“Where is it?”
“Probably under the deer.”
I shined the light and as I did I see this dazed deer head raise up. For the longest 5 seconds I wondered what to do and suddenly it fell over. Whew! From that point on I tried to remember to at least bring a knife with me and plenty of reloads.

Back
Top Bottom