• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Super super low recoil 9mm

jpm2953

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
403   0
Reaction score
i am relatively new to reloading. My main focus at the moment is 9mm. I don't have to make any sort of PF. I only shoot bowling pins a night or two a week. So far my lightest load is 3.6gr of HP38 with a 124gr xtreme RN bullet OAL 1.143. M&P pro with homemade stainless guide rod and 13lb spring.

Anyone else have any super soft shooting rounds?

I don't have a chronograph but I would imagine my load is in the 850fps range

Your limit is how low you can go with your existing recoil spring (and still knock the pins off the table) and if you want to change your recoil spring. You can even go to a lighter bullet.
I would estimate you could easily be in the 900+ fps range.
I know that a 121gr Lead conical Flat point and 2.9gr of 231/HP38 gave 963fps.

You need enough power to first drive the slide fully to the aft limit when fired. Then--this is important--you need enough spring force available to push the slide forward, pull a bullet out of the mag, and shove it all the way into the chamber.

The dirtier the gun gets the more spring you need. Often the lighter the load is, the faster the gun gets dirty--depends on the powder. You can see this low pressure induced grime in the form of increased crud on your fired cases-- blow by caused by the brass not expanding enough to seal the case against the chamber walls.

HP-38 (W231), Solo1000, TiteGroup, are about as clean as they get. Solo1000 will get you the lightest recoil with the most power--my experience.

If your load is working, I would not change it. If you can not knock five off in less than 5 sec, all lowing recoil below your current load will do is help make you into a lesser skilled shooter.

I used to shoot pins--was never very good at it. I got into a bad phase of spending too much time trying to engineer the perfect load when I should have just practiced more.

Check out the Griffin Ga. Steel Plate Match. It is on the first Saturday of each month, also on the Friday afternoon prior to that Sat.

Last edited:
My average time is in the mid to low 4's currently. Fastest time is a 3.08. Still need to practice more. The good guys are in the 2's

That is pretty good.

I am going to say something here that is not intended to step on any toes:

One fast way to get better scores is to shoot a single action auto like the 1911 or CZ 75SA. These guns have an advantage of great triggers.

If you like the M&P, you might want to look for whatever sights help you the most, and a trigger kit.

I dabble with pins once in a blue moon. My prefered guns are a 1911 and my prized Glock 17L; the 6 inch slide really helps me aim faster.

My average time is in the mid to low 4's currently. Fastest time is a 3.08. Still need to practice more. The good guys are in the 2's

Where are you shooting pins? Bullseye stopped, and Trigger Time has weird rules. Are there more shoots around?

BTW, I have run a 124 gr. coated bullet with 3.4 gr of HP38 and I get like 850 with that, but not all guns will cycle with it. It's like shooting a .22. But it doesn't impress the pins much.

There's a tradeoff there-- you can make the loads lighter, but that means less impact on the target. Also-- they'll bounce off the pins. Ricochets can result in stitches, as I have seen.

I should at cedar creek tactical in Oakwood on Tuesday nights. Trigger time everyonce in a while. Don't really care to shoot there though

And I have fiber optic sights and a full apex kit

Sounds like you are set.

If you do not have a shot timer, get one. It will allow you to practice more effectively.

Back
Top Bottom