• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Suppressing Kalashnikov pattern rifles

KERTWOOD KERTWOOD is right about the 5.45 vs. the 7.62. 5.45 is a lower pressure round and may not need the complete adjustability that almost all 7.62 rifles need (especially in a shorter gas system)
Like thisn
20190413_104609.jpg

Would things like the AGB or piston system work to make it hearing safe or no?
Mine is either on the border or not hearing safe. Sonic crack in an indoor shooting range is still gonna ring ears all day. Never shot it outside yet. Still looking for a shooting buddy with an outdoor range lol

KERTWOOD KERTWOOD is right about the 5.45 vs. the 7.62. 5.45 is a lower pressure round and may not need the complete adjustability that almost all 7.62 rifles need (especially in a shorter gas system)
Like thisn

What are your thoughts on suppressing a 556 AK? I have a SAR3 SBR that I recently threw a can on. Seems to work but I'm worried about beating the rifle up if it's too over gassed.
Also does anyone know if the SAR3's use a standard AK47/74 recoil spring? If so I was thinking of trying a Wolf extra power spring and see how that cycles.

So to the shooter an un-modified akm with wolverine is borderline not hearing safe but anyone standing next to or behind it’s “quiet” and has no ringing or discomfort, that being said the cans major plus is the low backpreasure design with relatively zero gas in the face to the point I don’t notice it one bit not to mention the threading fix for the comblocs it provides.

What are your thoughts on suppressing a 556 AK? I have a SAR3 SBR that I recently threw a can on. Seems to work but I'm worried about beating the rifle up if it's too over gassed.
Also does anyone know if the SAR3's use a standard AK47/74 recoil spring? If so I was thinking of trying a Wolf extra power spring and see how that cycles.

I also have an 8" 5.56 AR PDW SBR and it's significantly louder than the 5.45. Don't see how but it is and I'm talking day and night louder. I can't give any advice on the 5.56 AK as I haven't yet tinkered with one in the wild. What I post here is my own personal Real World experience.

As far as springs go there is a member on the files that makes several different springs ranging from - to +. I'll dig through my feedback tonight and post his name.

So to the shooter an un-modified akm with wolverine is borderline not hearing safe but anyone standing next to or behind it’s “quiet” and has no ringing or discomfort, that being said the cans major plus is the low backpreasure design with relatively zero gas in the face to the point I don’t notice it one bit not to mention the threading fix for the comblocs it provides.

It's my understanding that the "fix" to the wolverine is a over-sized port running the length of the can. But I hear great things about it and it sure beats the alternative (re-barreling).

I have a 104ur (5.45) with 8"Bluejack barrel and KNS piston that shoots reliably suppressed and unsuppressed with no adjustments to the KNS piston, although I did add a 20%+ recoil spring when building.

Surprisingly, it's a dream to shoot and very hearing safe with both my Sandman S and Silencerco Saker with Key-mo mount. Fatal_Bert Fatal_Bert will agree how quiet the 104ur actually is suppressed.

In my experience the problem people are having is due to the larger over pressured 7.62 caliber. 7.62 is known to need an adjustable gas block or KNS piston to regulate pressure so that the carrier doesn't beat the rear trunnion out of the receiver. We've been over this several times and I'm sure Unclesteve-o Unclesteve-o will post the most recent thread where it was discussed.

104ur suppressed sitting next to it's Real Russian cousin sporting a old Kestrel can.
View attachment 2089689

I will say that caliber and barrel length (dwel time) play a big factor when suppressing the AK. So all in all there needs to be a way to regulate pressure to play it safe or expect catastrophic damages.

I've always heard that AK's are too gassy suppressed and you still need hearing protection so I was shocked at how quite and smooth that thing shot. It honestly gave me a chubby.

Standard gas length it shouldnt be a problem. I dont have any experience with suppressing shortened 5.56 ak's but it will probably fall under a similar umbrella as the 5.56 sbr AR's with mikspec gas port sizes. Im sure someone here has some experience with the shortened 5.56 ak on the interwebs. Just not me....yet lol

I remember watching the tv show red jacket firearms. When they weren’t busy molesting kids. In one of the episodes they suppressed an AK-47.

I think that part of the solution was to integrate the silencer into part of the gas system.

I remember watching the tv show red jacket firearms. When they weren’t busy molesting kids. In one of the episodes they suppressed an AK-47.

I think that part of the solution was to integrate the silencer into part of the gas system.
There have been integrated suppressors, but they are pretty darn expensive and not cost productive to produce from what I understood

Back
Top Bottom