• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Suppressing Kalashnikov pattern rifles

I've shot the wolverine and it is not hearing safe (at least the one I shot). Actually it was painful to shoot on an AK. I think the gas system design is the problem trying to suppress it. Great design for reliability; but not so much suppression.

I've shot the wolverine and it is not hearing safe (at least the one I shot). Actually it was painful to shoot on an AK. I think the gas system design is the problem trying to suppress it. Great design for reliability; but not so much suppression.

Would things like the AGB or piston system work to make it hearing safe or no?

The general design of the gun I think is the issue and why they will work under extreme conditions. I hunt with a suppressed 7.62x39 AR and it is pleasant to shoot with my Harvester (not the quietest can out there). If you change the AK gas system; what do you give up in reliability with a 70+ year old design?

I completely agree. I tested the Wolverine when it was first brought out a couple years ago at QRF's suppressed shoot down in S. Macon. Holy crap did it pop my ears (no ear pro). After I shot it, the guy managing the table asked what I thought. I replied "what, I can't hear crap because of that loud thing! Completely turned me off of that suppressor.

I completely agree. I tested the Wolverine when it was first brought out a couple years ago at QRF's suppressed shoot down in S. Macon. Holy crap did it pop my ears (no ear pro). After I shot it, the guy managing the table asked what I thought. I replied "what, I can't hear crap because of that loud thing! Completely turned me off of that suppressor.

Yep, that sounds about right. Great engineering solution; but it doesn't work in real world experience on the AK47.

The gas system needs adjustability without a doubt. My RD adjustable gas system has worked pretty well so far on the 10". Barely 200 rounds through it, but it works with adjusting the gas blowback. Just be sure you have something to help with the force coming back to the rear trunion, because it may just pop it out with double the pressure coming back. :rockon:

Wolverine on a 5.45 Krink with a KNS adjustable piston is smooooooooth

KERTWOOD KERTWOOD Unclesteve-o Unclesteve-o @sovietak474u

I have a 104ur (5.45) with 8"Bluejack barrel and KNS piston that shoots reliably suppressed and unsuppressed with no adjustments to the KNS piston, although I did add a 20%+ recoil spring when building.

Surprisingly, it's a dream to shoot and very hearing safe with both my Sandman S and Silencerco Saker with Key-mo mount. @FatAlbert will agree how quiet the 104ur actually is suppressed.

In my experience the problem people are having is due to the larger over pressured 7.62 caliber. 7.62 is known to need an adjustable gas block or KNS piston to regulate pressure so that the carrier doesn't beat the rear trunnion out of the receiver. We've been over this several times and I'm sure Unclesteve-o Unclesteve-o will post the most recent thread where it was discussed.

104ur suppressed sitting next to it's Real Russian cousin sporting a old Kestrel can.
20190320_211917.jpg

I will say that caliber and barrel length (dwel time) play a big factor when suppressing the AK. So all in all there needs to be a way to regulate pressure to play it safe or expect catastrophic damages.

Back
Top Bottom