• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Suppressor language in HB60

brittthomas

Default rank <1000 posts
Okefenokee swamp creature
27   0
Reaction score
Now that HB60 is headed to Gov. Deal's desk, it's only a short time away before we will finally be able to hunt with suppressors in the state of Georgia. I wanted to bring the actual language from the bill up in this topic to make sure I (and anyone else interested) understands what it actually means.

The use of silencers or suppressors for hunting within this state is prohibited; provided, however, that a silencer or suppressor may be used for hunting on the private property of the person using such silencer or suppressor, on private property for which the owner of such property has provided verifiable permission to the person using such silencer or suppressor, and on public lands in areas designated by the department.

It shall be illegal to use a silencer or suppressor for hunting in violation of paragraph (9) of subsection (a) of this Code section. A person who violates the provisions of this paragraph shall be guilty of a misdemeanor. The hunting privileges of any person who has been convicted of violating the provisions of this title or any rule or regulation promulgated pursuant thereto by hunting without landowner permission, hunting in an area that is closed for hunting, or hunting big game out of season or at night with a firearm equipped with a suppressor shall be suspended for three years.

I wish they would have just struck "The use of silencers or suppressors for hunting within this state is prohibited; from the GA Code, but, I'll take this over nothing. First question that comes to my mind is: Where can we hunt with a suppressor?

The new law says:

"private property of the person". Okay, I get that.

"private property for which the owner of such property has provided verifiable permission to the person" Does this mean if your hunting on a lease you have to get the land owner's permission?

"and on public lands in areas designated by the department." So, I'm assuming that DNR will make certain "suppressor hunting zones"?

What's y'all's take on this?

Last edited:
Regarding the lease, it may depend on how the contract is worded, but yes I would assume you would need to get permission.

And regarding the public lands, I suspect (but have no proof) this is how they finally got it through. I wonder if they are going to limit use in certain areas, but hopefully someone will have the common sense to see how difficult this would become and just open it up.

It hasn't been all that long since they started allowing cans on DNR ranges, but I am not aware of anywhere where they tried to limit the use of cans on the ranges so I guess we shall see.

The new law says:

"private property of the person". Okay, I get that.

"private property for which the owner of such property has provided verifiable permission to the person" Does this mean if your hunting on a lease you have to get the land owner's permission? Could/should be written into the newest lease.

"and on public lands in areas designated by the department." So, I'm assuming that DNR will make certain "suppressor hunting zones"? If they are smart, they will use these near the "populated" edges of wilderness to minimize noise to residents. Might keep gun haters from using noise arguments.

I am glad we were able to get something. I just wish they would have written in some special pain for those caught poaching with a suppressor

I am glad we were able to get something. I just wish they would have written in some special pain for those caught poaching with a suppressor

I think they covered that with this: The hunting privileges of any person who has been convicted of violating the provisions of this title or any rule or regulation promulgated pursuant thereto by hunting without landowner permission, hunting in an area that is closed for hunting, or hunting big game out of season or at night with a firearm equipped with a suppressor shall be suspended for three years

Suspension of a legal license means nothing to someone already breaking the law. Needs to be loss of firearms and jail time. Stop slapping the wrist and do some time.

I think they covered that with this: The hunting privileges of any person who has been convicted of violating the provisions of this title or any rule or regulation promulgated pursuant thereto by hunting without landowner permission, hunting in an area that is closed for hunting, or hunting big game out of season or at night with a firearm equipped with a suppressor shall be suspended for three years

That's in addition to the crime poaching currently is.

Anyway...do you really think this law is going to make a poacher go oh look! I can commit a crime with a suppressor now! If they were going to poach with suppressors they've already been doing it, most likely with homemade cans.

You can bet that it will not be allowed on any national forest lands, which include a LOT of WMAs. The Fed would need to give the OK and that's not going to happen.

Back
Top Bottom