• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Survival Trip to Cohutta 10/23 & 10/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought about buying a hammock too, my ultralight tent is usually in my BOB so I could justify spending some dough on something for the GHB. Also looking into getting a pump filter, any recommendations? I want something that has an outlet for a camelbak tube.

I thought about buying a hammock too, my ultralight tent is usually in my BOB so I could justify spending some dough on something for the GHB. Also looking into getting a pump filter, any recommendations? I want something that has an outlet for a camelbak tube.

The Katadyn Pocket is a fantastic filter! It is extremely compact, and you will not wear it out.
They several different models to choose from, but the Pocket works for me. If you are looking at Hammocks, the Warbonnet Blackbird is awesome.
I had a Hennessy Hammock, and their quality has gone down hill since they are now made in China. I would opt for the Warbonnet if you
go that route.

I have no idea the Mountaintown Creek Trail but after talking with a few folks it is
also a mountain bike trail and gets pretty crowded. Again, I do not know this for a fact.
Some of you guys who have been there will know better than me.

The Gahuti Loop is designated camp site kind of thing. I don't know if that is what you
guys want to do or not. I personally am not interested in designated campsites.

Rice Camp seems like a nice trail. I get mixed information about it though. According
to some there are only a few creek crossings and they are small and shallow. Some others
say there is a dozen or so and they are knee to waist deep. Does anybody know which is
the case? I understand season has alot to do with it but the average is what I am looking for.
I don't mind stream crossings but I don't know how others feel about it.

My questions is this. What are you looking to get out of the trip? Are you wanting to hike a distance
to see and try different things? Are you wanting to go in just far enough to try the survival camp?
To me these things make up the decision of where we go. I don't mind hiking in and out but I would like
to make sure we end up with enough time to actually learn some things and not spend all day hiking.
Just my thoughts. What do the rest of you want to get out of it?

I would like to do a Wilderness Nav thing as well. I know enough to get me through if i needed
to but that is about it.

+1 on the Katadyn Pocket Filter. Jsquared if you have not purchased yet send me a PM.

Mountaintown Creek does intersect with some bike trails. The last time I was there hardly anyone to be seen. Rice Camp Trail on average has a few knee deep crossings. Last year it was up to my chest but there was a bit more rain last year.

What do I want to get out of it...shake down some of my new gear, practice my shelter making skills and to learn from others. Sometimes a different POV can be the best teacher.

Last edited:

I have a Katadyn Pocket filter also, though I've never used it. I need to get a water bladder to. I agree with Tony on the part that I don't want to spend all day hiking, when I could learn more info on actual survival tips from everyone and getting more info from what i use in my pack and what i don't. We can always hike out off of the trail and camp further away from the "campsites" can't we?

Last edited:
We can. I have no problem going off trail.
We just have to make sure it is in a place that it is ok to do so. The wilderness area
you can do that on (with the exception of the Jack's River Falls).

I just bought the Katadyn Vario filter about a month ago. Haven't had a chance to test
it out yet. I liked the idea of switching between flow rates and filters.

I'm down with hiking and camping but I aint getting in that water. It was 45 degrees up here this morning. I'm sure by this time next month it will be as cold if not colder.

And as said before....PLEASE wear orange, yellow or bright green. Some of the hunters up here are very dumb. I'm talking banjo playing , pig squeeling dumb and they'll fire at anything.

"Sorry 'bout your friend thar. I though he was a big ol deer"
i46.photobucket.com_albums_f118_marker11_deliverance.jpg

Wow that Katadyn Pocket is pricey!! $289 at REI. Must make the water taste like kool-aid or something :)

Kind of at a moral dilemma on that, actually. I want to use this trip as a chance to shake down my GHB, which I currently only have inventoried with a (full) 100oz bladder and tabs. Seeing as how Im only looking for a 1-2 day trip time from this pack (possibly 2-3), Im debating on changing out my 100oz bladder for a new 200oz one and keeping the tabs in there, and not bringing a filter. My GHB is a LBT 3DAP (old-style Ranger jumpable one with the radio pocket inside) and a 6L bladder would fit perfectly inside the radio flap.

So, 6L of water for 2 days, sounds about right. 6L plus tabs for 3+ days sounds OK too. Probably going to wait on getting a filter until later.

Oh, and was anyone interested in the map reading and orienteering stuff? I was going to head to REI this weekend and look for a good topo map of the area, if so I will head to Kinkos after and make some enlarged copies so we can all work off the same sheet.

I have a great custom topo map of the wilderness area. Yes I am interested.

As far as the filter. I thought about the water thing as well but I don't want to lug around water.
A 2L canteen with water and microfilter are not that heavy. Ends up right around 5lbs wheras
6L of water should be around 12 lbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom