• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Survival Trip to Cohutta 10/23 & 10/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to MyTopo, that site rocks!! Good maps they have there it looks like. Couldnt find anything at all locally for that area (not much of anything at all, really). Definitely need to meet up this week sometime and take a look at yours if thats cool.

That's fine.

The other map I have that is Cohutta Wilderness exclusive was put out by the USDA
Forest Service. It is useless for navigation as it has no meridian lines but it is plain
topo map. It does show all the trails of the wilderness area though. All total I have
4 maps for that area. 2 of them are Cohutta Wilderness specific.

Have we gotten any closer to where we may go? After reading a little further, Rice Camp trail
is fairly wet no matter what time of year it is. There is a bunch of them we just need to decide
which one to go on.

I am open to where we go. I don't mind getting wet and I don't mind "humping" it.......but I appreciate the fact that others do. We had discussed having an edible plant expert coming......is that still on the table?

Me and another guy are probably going to leave a little after lunch.

Does anybody have any personal experience with Chestnut Lead Trail?
I read it is a 2 mile descent in to the Conosauga River. A little over
1000' of elevation change. No water crossings and from what I have read,
not heavily used. The hike back out would be the most difficult part.

Has anybody contacted Mark Warren. Is he going to be willing to walk in to us that far
or are we going to pack out early and meet him towards the trail head?

I was planning on taking a half day off of work and leaving after lunch. I would need to meet someone and follow them in because I've never been there and I still need to work on map/compass reading.

So are you guys thinking of staying two nights then. or just Saturday night? Might be a bit confused on that, I thought we were meeting up there Saturday morning. Either way is fine, just might have to re-org the pack a bit to take some more clothes if we are camping Friday also.

Either way let's get some kind of carpool going, no point in all of us driving separate.

For where to go, I am really open to any place but we need to nail it down soon. I voted for the Gahuti trail (8.2-miler) with the Fort Mountain peak trails added on later. My only concern is the lack of open camping on the Gahuti trail, never been up there so I couldnt say how feasible it is to get 5-6 people camped off the trail without getting busted or whatever. Other wise we will have to reserve and pay for spots in the designated primitive camping places.

Definitely looking to get together this week, Tony. I think my trip to Augusta this weekend got cancelled so that should give me more than enough time to get all the map/compass stuff together for the training.

Oh, I am emailing Mark Warren now to see about his availability that weekend, and to see how far out he can go to give a class. I think no matter what we do trip wise we shouldnt be more than 4-5 miles out on a set trail so he probably wouldnt have any issues getting there. I will post back when I hear more.

Last edited:
I thought the plan was to go out Sat mornign as well.
The other guy that is going works with me. He and I were
going to go out Friday afternoon and then meet up with the rest
when they came up.

I with you on this one. We need to get the location nailed down.
I am not for Fort Mountain only because it is a state park and to my knowledge
they do not allow you to camp anywhere but in the designated campsites.
And the campsites they do have in the backcountry are like $9/ person per
night. I will have to check on that unless someone else knows.

Does anybody else have any suggestions as far as where to go?

I thought the plan was to go out Sat mornign as well.
The other guy that is going works with me. He and I were
going to go out Friday afternoon and then meet up with the rest
when they came up.

I with you on this one. We need to get the location nailed down.
I am not for Fort Mountain only because it is a state park and to my knowledge
they do not allow you to camp anywhere but in the designated campsites.
And the campsites they do have in the backcountry are like $9/ person per
night. I will have to check on that unless someone else knows.

Does anybody else have any suggestions as far as where to go?

Yeah I would rather stay away from paying for a primitive camp site if at all possible. I agree, somewhere else then.

I made a separate thread with a list of what all I am bringing in my GHB. http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/showthread.php?13129-Get-Home-Bag-inventory&p=53439#post53439

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom