• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Survive 4.1/Esee Laser Strike/ Scout set up

shaneadams90

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
73   0
Reaction score
So I just picked up a new knife and sheath combo for the Field Survival Course at Randall's Adventure training the Jan!

I have been planning on taking my well used Laser Strike but caught a deal on a Survive 4.1 knife as well.

I had also had a 4 in 1 Sheath designed that would allow you to dangle, carry on belt, Scout style, or cross draw…

I love my LS but the 4.1 sure does feel good….

Thoughts?

IMG_5379.jpg

IMG_5378.jpg

IMG_5359.jpg

IMG_5377.jpg

IMG_5294.jpg

IMG_5339.jpg

Last edited:
Both are at the top of the food chain for that course.
Since it is a RAT/ ESEE course & the Laser is already broken in, I would be inclined to use it out of respect/ courtesy to the Instructor/ host.

However, if that wasn't an issue I would bring the one I was most experienced with so I could focus on the class content instead of learning the attributes (or maybe even some negative characteristics) of a new knife i.e. ability to sharpen in the field, feel / grip of the handle under extended use, etc.
While less complicated than a new gun anything new will have a slight learning curve.

I admit it is unlikely given the rep. of the GSO but I like to test any new purchase before making it my "primary".
Not out of concern for the GSO's capability.... just my getting familiar with its characteristics.

Sidenote: Like many others, I have found the 4 1/4"-4 1/2" blade size to be the absolute perfect length for most bushcraft needs. The addition or subtraction of 1" lessens the "feel" or control of the knife in my hand during use somewhat.
It surprises & interests me how apparent that is.

Last edited:
The GSO is tops in its class, a well designed tool. The 4.1 is also the same knife that the company owner hammers into a tree and rappels from it. The GSO will hold an edge better than the Essee, but will take more time to sharpen when needed. Is yours the stainless or CPM 3V version?

I wish they made the GSO in a flat ground version.
The Laser Strike had been the one I wanted to try next but I may have to try the GSO instead.
I really like my C.S. Master Hunters & a couple customs but that big drop point very appealing.

Thanks Shane..... :)

Nice buys, and tough choice for you!

I would consider breaking in that new LS, but expect them to take away that kit bag you have on the sheath.

The New LS is my son's&#8230;.the ratty, old, stripped, modified one is mine and just getting good! Yea. I know the kit will be gone, so I have elected to go a different route and use a Scout sheath in stead.

The GSO is tops in its class, a well designed tool. The 4.1 is also the same knife that the company owner hammers into a tree and rappels from it. The GSO will hold an edge better than the Essee, but will take more time to sharpen when needed. Is yours the stainless or CPM 3V version?

CPM 3v version&#8230;

I like the added length of the LS over the GSO but am really digging the feel of that GSO&#8230;

Due to the fact that this is a RAT/Esee class and I have a lot of respect for the folks there I'm sure I will go with that Laser Strike...

I can understand wanting to use the Essee for the course. Many techniques may easier to fllow/duplucate if you are using the same knife, and the issue of respect as well.

I also wasnt sure about the overall length of the 4.1, so I gambled and chose the GSO 5. In the end I've been happy with the choice as the knife is able to handle a wider range if tasks. The sheer weight of the blade makes it a fairly good chopper.

DSCF0406.JPG

I like the look of the 5 as well&#8230;.after handling this GSO I see others in my future&#8230;.The LS is a knife I am very familiar with and I think the additional girth of that LS over the GSO makes it an easier choice&#8230;especially when consulting the forecast for next weekend. I get the feeling that I will be processing a LOT of wood and doing a lot of shelter building...

Great looking Blade!

I can understand wanting to use the Essee for the course. Many techniques may easier to fllow/duplucate if you are using the same knife, and the issue of respect as well.

I also wasnt sure about the overall length of the 4.1, so I gambled and chose the GSO 5. In the end I've been happy with the choice as the knife is able to handle a wider range if tasks. The sheer weight of the blade makes it a fairly good chopper.

DSCF0406.JPG

Back
Top Bottom