• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Survive 4.1/Esee Laser Strike/ Scout set up

You guys need to abuse those knives a little

The new LS was my son's Christmas gift and the new GSO was my gift as well….both brand new..

This LS has seen LOTS of use….and is the one I will be using for the class…When the coating got ratty I stripped it and put a Mustard Patina on it…when it started to look rough I just sanded it down, polished on it a little for the Field Survival class I'm taking next weekend…gonna work it a bit and then patina it again, not sure which method I'm going to use next time..

IMG_5339.jpg

Got a question.... can you Nickel Boron a carbon steel knife? Or, in otherwords, what are reasons that you wouldn't?

This is a conversation that has come up a number of times…I have talked to the guys at Secoa and we are going to take a look at it..The added lubricity of the NiB would help the knife "release" when cutting but not sure how it would affect the edge and edge maintenance.

This is a conversation that has come up a number of times…I have talked to the guys at Secoa and we are going to take a look at it..The added lubricity of the NiB would help the knife "release" when cutting but not sure how it would affect the edge and edge maintenance.

I would imagine that it might behave somewhat or even exactly like the Fallkniven layered steel, wouldn't you think? It shouldn't adversely affect the underlying metal so it should retain its normal properties, right?

It would be hard to say…so many variables when applying that coating..I know the guys at Secoa have some things in the works with a custom knife maker as we speak…stay tuned..

Cool. I'd volunteer a BK-16 or even a Cold Steel Master Hunter if they want a "roll the dice & take your chances" test subject.

When I bought my Survive GSO they were being offered for the first time in factory coatings - black DLC and FDE zonc chromium PVD. Both were intended to perform the same function as NB - protect the metal and provide a measure of lubrication. I'm not sure how the different coatings compare in real world use. Mine has been well used and sharpened since those pics were taken, andI can tell you that the PVD has worn well. The only instance of the coating wearing through is where the Worksharp caught the end of the blade. My only other complaint is that tree sap seems to cause some permanent stains in the finish.

I would expect a NB finish to work similarly well. It would certainly allow the blade work through tasks like batoning a good deal easier. The only unknown would be how the finish would wear over time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom