• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sweet Vidalia onions?

furious

Default rank <4500 posts Lifetime Supporter
Don't let yesterday use up too much of today.
261   0
Reaction score
Do real sweet Vidalia onions exist anymore? I'm talking about the kind you can bite like an apple.

I've been duped for about the past 20 years and I doubt that the original sweet onion exists anymore. I'm not looking for a website that claims to sell them. I want first-hand experience.

Sweet onions, Where are they?

Do real sweet Vidalia onions exist anymore? I'm talking about the kind you can bite like an apple.

I've been duped for about the past 20 years and I doubt that the original sweet onion exists anymore. I'm not looking for a website that claims to sell them. I want first-hand experience.

Maybe we've gotten to old! And our taste buds are shot!

Go to farms in vidalia and you can still get the sho-nuffs during onion season. Everything you getting in stores have been in the storage houses no telling how long.back when there was a season it was a big deal before availability year round.
I can remember back in the day you would buy a 50# bag and store them in mamas stockings so you could have them year round.

I'm headed to Swainsboro and then Savannah this Tuesday for work. There are usually vidalias for sale all along that stretch of I 16. I'll pick up a bag if anyone wants one. Pm me if you do and we can work out details. I live in Canton and work in Metro ATL most of the time.

I can tell you a secret I learned when I was living in Jesup, knew a lot of people in Vidalia, and the onions were just beginning to become a big thing.

Try to buy loose onions, and pick out the flattest ones. They will be sweeter than the rounder ones. They have grown faster and have less of the strong flavors.

If they are mostly round ones, get the biggest round ones, again because they grow bigger faster, and have less strong flavors per onion.

But pick out the big flat ones. They can be a bear to slice, but they are definitely sweeter.

if you buy bagged onions you will end up with a disproportionate amount of small round onions which will be as hot as common onions. Remember that the onion itself is a basic Granex onion grown all over the USA.

Back
Top Bottom