Swords for SHTF

Is a combat-ready sword an appropriate prep for a long-term SHTF?

• Total voters
i49.tinypic.com_luwb6.jpg

A drive by swording.... lol!

It sounds ridiculous but a nice quality sword and the ability to use it effectively (japanese and chinese martial arts and at least some fencing) can be both invaluable in the case that the ammo runs out and often prevent the need for actually hurting people. People, even crazy people, are intimidated by the long gleaming blades where in alot of cases a small handgun doesn't mean much to them. I'm not suggesting this as a replacement for a gun or guns but as an accompaniment.

It sounds ridiculous but a nice quality sword and the ability to use it effectively (japanese and chinese martial arts and at least some fencing) can be both invaluable in the case that the ammo runs out and often prevent the need for actually hurting people. People, even crazy people, are intimidated by the long gleaming blades where in alot of cases a small handgun doesn't mean much to them. I'm not suggesting this as a replacement for a gun or guns but as an accompaniment.

I can get on board with that. I've got some minor fencing training, it's actually fun. There are actually quiet a few shops that sell battle ready swords, maces, flanges, flails and axes. www.kultofathena.com is a good one

As a happy chap trained in sword combat for a fair number of years I can say that yes I do value the effectiveness of swords as a weapon but agree with a lot of the posts that a machete / cheaper slasher is the way to go. A lot of people forget that swords are breakable and the edges on say a katana will chip / roll or the sword bend if you had to use it often and they are a pain to polish back to an edge. A good kukri will do many a job including shelter building, prying open things etc, a katana, not so much. Firearms are always top priority but I always keep a sharp as a backup, personally, I have a bushcraft knife for every day use / survival, after all the pistol isnt gonna help me keep warm at night.

Back
Top Bottom