• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

T-Bills

At this point I think money in T Bills are as secure as money sitting in any bank. I can let my money sit in money market and make 4.25% or put in T Bills locking in for week making 5.3%. I would buy whatever at this point but nothing is certain.

Since I'm a dummy, help me understand. So I purchase a T-Bill at a 5.2% discount of face value for x amount of time, and am getting a 5.4ish return in that time? So If I'm doing 10k, it costs roughly 9500 at face value with the discount, and I will have 10k ish at maturity? If that's the case it would be better to keep doing the short time, correct? Sorry, just not familiar with T-Bills.

Here's a simple example, say you're buying a 1- year $10 note with a 10% discount and pay $9. The discount is 10% but your return is 1/9=11.1%.

Since these are all partial year investments, it's a bit more involved due to day count (actual, 360, 365, etc) assumptions and compounding.

The returns are always annualized as per convention. Same return % but a shorter note will get you fewer return $ but the same % return.

Clark Howard talks about "laddering" your investments but he's talking about money you don't plan to use in the near future. T-Bills are great because your money isn't frozen for long periods of time.

Personally I'm a fan of the 13-week because it seems to be in the sweet spot between tying up your money and a good rate.

Laddering is a concept to take advantage of the upward sloping yield curve yet maintain the liquidity of a short term investment. With the current and near term curve, it's a moot point.

Nothing is wrong with 13 wk. I'll probably start going out longer once I feel the Fed is about done with the hikes.

One must have faith in the issuer. I’m advising to spend what one has .

There's no telling what the $ will be worth when you get it back, but you will get it back. They'll fight and posture over the debt ceiling but at the end of the day it'll get done and you will always get your money back because they'll never run out of digital ink.

With gold and silver, you have a prayer. Fiat paper, nothing but air.

This is not meant to be the core of your holdings. Buy stocks, land, gold, real estate, start a business, whatever you like and understand. This is to be used in lieu or in addition to banks for short/intermediate term cash when you need liquidity.

We’ve been waiting for a black swan event and this might be it. We’re also waiting on the second coming of Christ so use caution.

What happens if you keep waiting for this economic collapse and it never comes? At least this way you'll have some cash to deploy when there's a major asset fire sale.

I've been buying T-bills of various maturities for about a year now and no problems except I don't know how to compound unless I buy new T-bills with the interest that's deposited into my bank. Am I missing anything on Treasury Direct that would let me compound?

I've been buying T-bills of various maturities for about a year now and no problems except I don't know how to compound unless I buy new T-bills with the interest that's deposited into my bank. Am I missing anything on Treasury Direct that would let me compound?

No way to compound interest unless doing new investments. The closest thing you can do is linking Treasury Direct to a HY savings account that pays 5% or better.

One thing I didn't mention is that T-Bills are as safe as the institution.

Also know that money in your bank is only insured up to $250K. Not that I EVER had that much money in a bank but I recently sold my house without buying a house so we could be a "cash" buyer and hopefully that will give us an edge to buy the next house.

The money from the sold house is in a 4 week T-Bill for two reasons. It's earning interest at a good rate and it's "protected" over the amount that my bank could have offered. I was facing opening new bank accounts so that the excess could be protected in case the bank failed. With using a T-Bill; well, I don't think the US will fail in the next 4 weeks. I mean, I hope not...

Thanks for all the info everyone, been lurking on the T-Bills for a few years. Other than the Fed protection on the $ vs internet banks failing why would someone go the T-Bill route over the current 5-6% one year CD rate?

Back
Top Bottom