Taking a silencer out of state question

Fair enough! That is your property and prerogative. I won't argue that with you at all.
Fear not - I will post about it on ODT later that day explaining how I yelled I KNOW MY RIGHTS at the cop and showed him my pocket constitution, explaining that I pay his salary!

Having to LEGALLY talk to - vs. realistically having to deal with are 2 separate things. If a cop pulled me over and saw my hunting rig with suppressor in the back - I don't want to be educating him of his and my rights on the side of the road. If he asks - I'll just show him the paperwork and hopefully be on my way.
I think I would do the same. Regardless of whether you HAVE TO or not, it would just be easier to show your paperwork to the local Barney Fife.

He will probably not have a damn clue what he’s looking at, but hopefully he’ll just act like he does and let you go.

two quick points:

1-- Palmettomoon cited the federal law with a very useful link; that should clear it up on the issue of getting federal pre-approval to cross state lines with a suppressor.

2-- In Georgia, NFA weapons are subject to what's called an "affirmative defense."
The defense is that they are legally registered with ATF. And "affirmative defense" means you have the burden of telling the cops about it and producing evidence. All of the elements of the crime of possession of a silencer (machine gun, short barreled rigle, etc.) will be met (satisfied) when the cop knows that you have such a weapon in your possession .

Back
Top Bottom