• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Taking the plunge

Why do you need a user serviceable 556? With rifle power calibers generally the cans are all sealed for strength. And they are also self cleaning, you dont have to worry about cleaning them.

Thanks, I'm starting at zero knowledge so I just learned a lot.

Ah ok. You seemed pretty certain of it and I just wasnt sure why. Like with anything else it helps to know what the purpose of the suppressor will be. For instance:

"I want something uber quiet" = .22 can

"I want a rifle thats uber quiet" = .30 cal can with subsonic .300BLK

"I want something with as least POI, point of impact, shift as possible"

"I want one can that I can use on all my guns"

"I want something under $500"

Whats important to you? Cost, sound reduction, weight, length, FRP (First Round Pop), serviceability, POI shift, cost of mounts and customer service from the manufacturer are all things that should factor into your decision.

You get the point. Gives us what the purpose is, budget, and whats important to you in terms of specs/performance and we can give some good recommendations. The members here have quite a various of suppressors or we have researched a lot already in preparation to make our purchases.

Buy a 30 cal suppressor instead of a 223 one. You will get more use out of it because there will be 300BO or 308 in your future. 30 cal cans work great on 223 as they have extra volume; just a little bigger. Like Lazarus Lazarus said, decide on what you want then start narrowing down the choices. Just know that in 5 years, today's "can of the century" will most likely be old tech; but still work great just like cars. Best thing you can do is find some one with a can and go shoot with them and see/hear what they really do. Hint, it's not all like the movies. They are an addiction and once you use suppressors, your wallet will hate you for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom