• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Talk me out of buying this..

J,

dive in. You won't be sorry.

And zero offense to others.... But the Cold Steel or even the mentioned customs are just flat out better than the $30 Glock Knife. I have one and have abused it. Their durability in guns does not translate to their knives.

So last year when the gun crap stirred up, and I realized I have most guns I want or need, I directed my attention to custom knives.

I have a good friend in Cumming that makes just a really tough, mean knife meant to be USED. I've taken his knives all over the US, used and put on his FB. If I were to break one.... He would HAPPILY replace with another of my choice.

Custom knives, or even high end are just a different level of craftsmanship. I am not ashamed to say my collection has jumped into the $10,000+ range and I know the knife community well enough to know they keep their value.

Get the Cold Steel. It depends on what you want to use it for.

I keep a custom Karambit on my neck, usually a Microtech Troodon OTF in my pocket and a few in my backpack for dinners (cut steak) and a good SOG in my jeep by my seat.

So don't be deterred by naysayers. People pay $1600 for an AR that goes bang like a $600 DPMS. Penis is still the same size....but it's their money and who am I to dictate its use?

i don't get embarrassed by a $2000 Todd Begg Bodega folder. Why should I?

PM me and I'll show you some money knives.

Dan (FatZombie) makes a really solid knife. You should try one out.

It would be for general use.. Camping, hunting, protection or survival if the situation called for it. Since the ammo shortage, I've been trying to hone some other skills besides shooting -- such as archery. I'd like to set up a dummy outside and practice knife fighting a bit. I figured you can't go wrong with a well-made knife.

I have little doubt that a $200 knife could beat a $30 knife in a torture test. Depends how it's setup though. Make the blade stay sharp longer, then you make it harder to sharpen later, or maybe it's more brittle. Maybe the fancy steels don't have those tradeoffs as much, but I'd stick to proven metals if you plan on depending on it. Also, I just think that if you're going to get a $200 knife, it should look like a $200 knife. ;)

Can't go wrong with a fixed blade from Cold Steel. That being said, I'll second what some others have mentioned: We have members on the ODT that regularly make me wanna fork over cold cash for their beautiful knives.

I say spend the money but do it on a blade/handle/sheath combo that is tougher. The "San Mai" steel is well reviewed but I would challenge you to look into the crucible metals steels such as S30v or s35v and a micarta or g10 handle. Essee has been mentioned as an option but there are tons of choices in that range. Buy a cold steel trail hawk and learn to throw it, but if you are going for a knife to stake your life on, there are better/tougher choices IMHO.

Get the cold steel... 010.jpg I kinda' like them.

What would you do with it? That's a bunch of coin for a fancy blade that sits in a drawer. The only expensive knives I own are the Cutco knives in my kitchen. In the field, I have yet to find anything that can beat a 30 dollar Glock knife.

Except possibly the CutCo... maybe a Mora.

Last edited:
I aint gon talk ya out of it. I have a couple Cold Steel knives and like em and a couple I don't like so much.

Think if I wanted a "knife" tho, I would have to talk to one of the builders here.

Back
Top Bottom