• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Talk me out of carrying a Tokarev

thegiantmidget

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
113   0
Reaction score
I am not interested in discussing ballistic shortcomings of the 7.62X25, or the superiority of other handguns - I have other, better choices. This is purely for the sake of conversation. I would also appreciate it if we stuck to why or why not the YUGO M57 is or is not packable.

I don't anticipate actually carrying it, but if I wanted to, say as a woods gun, what'd be the harm? The Yugo doesn't suffer from the same safety nightmares as the Romanian and other imports. As I understand it, the safety, which is similar in location as well as operation to the safety on the M1911, was designed to actually work, and not as an afterthought to allow for legal import as is common on other models.

So, whereas condition 3 is generally considered the only safe method to pack a Tok, it seems that condition 1 is not out of the question with the Yugo. I don't know about condition 2 - and that's the truth - it's not a carry method I've ever considered, so I'm not positive about it's fine points and shortcomings in a pistol like the Yugo M57 Tokarev. I'd be interested to hear you guys' thoughts.

well... I mean c'mon, the ballistics are full of shortcomings and there are many more superior handguns... (just couldn't resist)

As far as packable, i'm frankly not that familiar with the gun so I would only be curious about two things, gross motor skills of shooting the weapon under stress (which just means practice like any weapon) and availability of holsters I liked.

I have kinda reached a point where I went from 8-10 handguns being rotated to just two that are quite similar for CC due to my concerns over knowing that I will handle the weapon correctly under stress, tried to move away from external safeties, decockers, etc... Of course I kept my little wheel gun too for summer cargo shorts

i carried a tokarev for a while but it was a little on the heavy side, but it is a great gun, also that round has more power than a 9mm.

sounds to me like you've decided and don't want to hear any negatives. so carry it.

You've got me there, but I am mostly looking for feedback from anybody with experience doing so. Also interested in condition 2 with this gun if the safety is not to be trusted. Condition 3 doesn't appeal to me...

Don't have any experience with one but I have researched and read about them as surplus guns interest me. I remember reading that it is easy to accidentially hit the mag release and dump the mag while firing. However as a woods gun heck yeah carry it.

Last edited:
I bought one fo these in Afghanistan a few years back and wasn't allowed to bring it back home with me but I carried it in my assault pack as a backup..I think I gave like $20 for it from an interpretor. It jammed occassionally but I enjoyed shooting it when I got the chance and made several photo ops with it. LOL. Nice little gun.

In august 1990, I bought a chi-com version in 9mm to carry as back-up in the coming p-g tour. Only gave $149 for it, and was pleased with function and accuracy. The gun never brought blood, only used it to herd and corral lice infested followers of islam. Unlike chosinsteve132, I managed to bring mine home and kept it as a "truck" gun until it was stolen in 02. If I needed a low cost weapon, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

I have the chinese Norinco basically the same gun. I would carry it with one in the pipe and hammer down safety on. I wear my Norinco on my leg in a utg Drop holster hooked to a combat belt in the woods. I wear my Glock 20c in a UTG vertical shoulder holster with 2 mags on the opposite side. I can fit my Norinco in the shoulder holster but it is loose in the shoulder holster. Either way works well for me. Any time i go in the woods I keep one in the chamber and ready to be used. I carry Steel core and hollow points pending on what I am hunting.

I much prefer my 20 to my Norinco to stop critters at close range but if you load up steel core it can punch through two car doors and keep going.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom